Applying in Fall 2007?

Othello

Mechanical Engineering

doing a concurrent BS/MSE in four years ( Mechanics and Materials Group)

gpa: 3.87

gre: 800/590/5

I've been lucky enough to have been involved in research since my freshman year, so I have a lot of experience in that department. I decided to do the masters program because it would show that I was driven and give me the chance to do a thesis project. I work with mechanical properties of materials and how these properties are affected by microstrcuture. I'm interested in size effects in materials and deformation mechanisms.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted back in August, but I'm re-posting. I've put off thinking about my apps for this year until now, which is horrible. I just feel so behind on everything! I'm terrified of being rejected everywhere again, and have no clue what I'll do if I don't get in anywhere.

Right now I'm researching programs (I know, something I should have been doing this summer) and have found a few that are a better fit. I applied for Social Psych PhD programs last time around, but I'm definitely more interested in an interdisciplinary program that combines Psych, Soc, and Policy work.

About me: I majored in Psych and Soc, minors in Women's and European Studies from a large Midwestern research university. I have an average GPA (3.5/4.0) strong research background in clinical psych (4 years or lab research), but I haven't done any research since graduating in May 05. I've been working as a TA in the psych department at my undergrad institution since graduating (great job, great experience, but no research involved) and I'm worried that I've been out of school for so long that it's going to be hard getting back into that routine. I'm really starting to freak out because apps are due in about 2-3 months. (Thank god that some programs have January deadlines!)

I posted back in August, but I'm re-posting. I've put off thinking about my apps for this year until now, which is horrible. I just feel so behind on everything! I'm terrified of being rejected everywhere again, and have no clue what I'll do if I don't get in anywhere.

Right now I'm researching programs (I know, something I should have been doing this summer) and have found a few that are a better fit. I applied for Social Psych PhD programs last time around, but I'm definitely more interested in an interdisciplinary program that combines Psych, Soc, and Policy work.

About me: I majored in Psych and Soc, minors in Women's and European Studies from a large Midwestern research university. I have an average GPA (3.5/4.0) strong research background in clinical psych (4 years or lab research), but I haven't done any research since graduating in May 05. I've been working as a TA in the psych department at my undergrad institution since graduating (great job, great experience, but no research involved) and I'm worried that I've been out of school for so long that it's going to be hard getting back into that routine. I'm really starting to freak out because apps are due in about 2-3 months. (Thank god that some programs have January deadlines!)

out of curiosity - how many programs did you apply to last year?

out of curiosity - how many programs did you apply to last year?

Ten. I got into one MA program but wasn't offered funding, so that was out. Last time I was reaching too far - I didn't have many safety schools. I also think that part of me knew that a Social Psych PhD program wasn't the right fit so I wasn't as aggressive in contacting faculty members as I should have been. Just the thought of going through the application process makes me want to curl up into a ball on the floor or go into a cleaning frenzy (cleaning is my way of bring productive while still procrastinating).

I did go to a grad school fair today and found out about a few programs that seem like a great fit for me.

Now I just need to write that pesky personal statement...

Ten. I got into one MA program but wasn't offered funding, so that was out. Last time I was reaching too far - I didn't have many safety schools. I also think that part of me knew that a Social Psych PhD program wasn't the right fit so I wasn't as aggressive in contacting faculty members as I should have been. Just the thought of going through the application process makes me want to curl up into a ball on the floor or go into a cleaning frenzy (cleaning is my way of bring productive while still procrastinating).

I did go to a grad school fair today and found out about a few programs that seem like a great fit for me.

Now I just need to write that pesky personal statement...

Ok - so the following is my personal opinion, but I know for a fact that this opinion is shared by a number of people on this board and it isn't just the nature of my discipline. That said, my opinion is partially based on my personal experience and I wish someone would have told me this before applying to graduate schools. Forget the idea of "safety schools", just toss it out of your brain. They don't exist. It's not like applying for undergraduate in that regard.

My own personal experience of this is as follows. I applied to four American schools and three in Britain. I was rejected at the number (as best I remember it) 15, 5, and 4 school and was admitted to the number 2 school in the country for my discipline. I gave each of them similar personal statements, the same grades, the same GRE scores, the same CV . . . so why did I get into the number 2 school in the country and not the number 15? Because I was a better fit at the number 2 school than I was at the number 15. I would have been offered a better financial package at one of the other schools, but the number 2 school was my top choice.

So the real questions you should ask yourself are - how well do I fit into this program and how can I convince these people that we are a good match for each other?

Some programs will buy your argument, yes he/she is a good fit here, and then look at your academic qualifications to see if you meet the standards of what they are looking for. That said, I have far lower GRE scores than many of the people in my program, but I'm convinced they looked past that because they knew I would be a good fit here. It would be really difficult, if not impossible, for someone to look at your "stats" for a graduate program and tell you, you have a twenty or thirty percent chance of getting in or whatever . . . someone would have to have an intimate knowledge of your background as well as an intimate knowledge of those working at the program you are applying to.

This time around, I would find ten schools or so that you feel fit you best. Don't pay attention to the rankings or how hard they are supposed to be to get into until later. From there, once you get accepted (hopefully!) to a few schools, then look at rankings, and think to yourself, "How will the reputation of this school either help me or slow me down?".

That's my opinion. When people tell you that applying to grad school is a crap shoot, they aren't lying. The crap shoot part about it, though, isn't whether or not they will see you as good enough to get in and or get through, the crap shoot part of it is whether or not they will buy your argument that you are a good fit for the program.

Thanks for the advice. I tried a similar strategy when I was applying last year. I thought that I was a good fit for the departments I was applying to and that my research interests meshed well with professors there. I did apply to a range of schools, but most of the people who were doing the type of research that I wanted to do were at top schools. Unfortunately, I don't think my stats were good enough, even though I have a ton of research and teaching experience. (But so does everyone else applying to grad school!) Also, I really think that I wasn't trying hard enough to get into the programs which I applied to. I think you're right - I didn't sell myself well enough!! :?

I've got a few programs now that I'm really excited about - I'm getting (getting? ha! I AM) nervous because I feel like it's so late! Some of the deadlines aren't till mid-January, though. These programs seem much more interesting to me, and I also feel that I'm more prepared for an interdisciplinary psych/soc program rather than a Social Psych program.

hi guys! i was watching this board like crazy last year but i just joined today. anyway, i'm an english major applying to MFA & PhD programs this fall. basically i am stupid & i am applying to all the top programs. most of us know what those are. it's too humiliating to go thru the list again. i am kind-of looking forward to my first experience w. large-scale rejection though... there's something sort of novel about it.

stats:

GPA: 3.9/3.96 major

GRE: 92% subject; 98% verbal / 21% quant. (lol) / 52% (which i am seriously annoyed by since generally writing is a strength)

generic activities & honours, but nothing that really sets me apart

super strong recs but only one from a tenured prof. lots of encouragement (you can do anything! you're the best!) from profs in my dept. terrible laziness & self-esteem.

writing sample is an A+ 8page paper that i have yet to sstreeeetcchhh out

SOP only 1 draft written

etc. i go to a really good, really big canadian university. i transferred there from a really good, really small weird artsy american one.

so i am all over the place & so are my stats.

good luck to everyone!

p.s. is it true that harvard has a cut-off for GRE scores? if so i've already wasted money on them!!

p.p.s. i am interested in 20th c. poetry & poetics, religious/supernatural themes in 20th c. poetry, pop culture & so much more...

basically i am stupid & i am applying to all the top programs. most of us know what those are.

Yeah. Good luck being in the <2% Iowa chooses. I applied to their fiction program last year, but people in the speculative genres are always at a huge disadvantage to begin with. Plus, my work might not be in the top 1-2% of all BFA graduates in the world.

But let's not split hairs. =)

Hey tvn,

When you say you usually got +700Q in practice, was that practicing on paper tests or with the PowerPrep software provided by ETS? The first time I took the test I had only practiced on paper and got a 640Q, probably mostly because I ran out of time since I wasn't used to taking it on the computer. However, I downloaded the software from the GRE website, and after some practice I managed a 750Q the second time I took the test (three weeks after the first). If you haven't used the PowerPrep practice tests, I highly reccomend them. I don't think the math itself is too difficult, it really is a matter of studying the test itself. A little more practice may help you raise the score. Good luck!

I used the PowerPrep software. What troubles me the most is the timing issues, I do calculations very slowing, The worst yet, when I get panic about time, I will spend even more time on each question (either that or guess). In contrast in the verbal section which I basically don't know anything, I finished the entire section within 20 minutes (since I just guess on everything) :)

tvn,

I'd definitely recommend retaking the exam. Adcoms will find that score very suspicious. Memorize a few hundred common GRE vocab words, and go over the PowerPrep tests several times to get the timing down. It's a very learnable test, so you really should do the necessary work to bring that score way up. The GRE isn't weighted very heavily as part of the application, but you really need to bring it up if you don't want to raise some eyebrows.

Hi there. Well, I am working on applying to various biology programs, specifically developmental biology. I've been working the last year and a half in a fairly well known lab at UCSF. No papers, but lots of experience, great letters, and a recent completion of the general GRE (690V, 750Q). Hopefully I will do well on the Biochem subject test in a couple of weeks so that, taken all together, the "good" parts of my application will outweigh the "bad" GPA (3.1, 3.4 last two years from a top UC). I am slaving away on my SoPs at the moment... but my plan is to apply to about 9 schools which should end up being: UCSF, Stanford, UPenn, Duke/Northwestern, WUSTL, U Wisc-Madison, UNC-Chapel Hill, SUNY Stony Brook, OregonHSU. Hopefully I'll have everything ready by the end of November. The SoP is my biggest concern at the moment, but I think I'm closing in on a final draft. I think...

Good luck in your applications. Keep us all updated. My statement of purpose is juuuuust about done. I'm glad the NSF application is due so early; it really forced me to get things done early. The last big thing I have for all my applications is just this stupid research proposal (for the NSF)....ugh, what a pain. I'm actually working on it right now.

I took a look at the NSF application... it's so involved! I'm probably going to wait until next year to apply so I have a clearer idea of what to write for the research proposal. It will be tough with lab rotations and all the business of being a first year student, but I think I'll have a better chance. Good luck with it!

Oh man, it is brutal. However, the essays the NSF forces you to write are extremely helpful when composing graduate school applications. A couple applications have asked for an essay in supplement to my statement of interest, and I've gone, 'huzzah! I wrote something very similar to what they're asking for in my NSF application! [ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, tweak here, tweak there, done]'. I think the work is worth the chance of receivig the equivalent of a couple hundred thousand dollars.

• 1 month later...

I did try to contact one professor early on (over the summer), but he never e-mailed me back, as I expected. I've since heard some people say positive things about contacting professors, but I've heard many more advising against it, so I didn't do it anymore after that. I think, in general, one should refrain from contacting professors. There's a chance you'll get a response, but more likely you'll just annoy the guy.

I tried to contact all that I feel have interests matched with mine (about 3-4 on average at each school), 95% of them didn't reply but several did. I figure it worths it, in the worst case probably they will ignore and delete my mail. Hopefully they probably won't hold it against me just because I send them a mail (which they probably didn't even read it pass the subject line).

only a few replies, however they are quite positive, probably they saw my experience matches theirs hence they replied. Some of them suggest that I put their names in the Statement of Purpose so my application will be passed directly to them.