Visa: How can I work off-campus?

Dear forum, as you know students are not allowed to work off-campus with F-1 visa,

1. Is it possible to get another type visa which would allow to work off-campus?

2. Has anyone worked off-campus during his/her education in the US?

it is possible, under some circumstances, to work off-campus while on F-1 status. These opportunities are called Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). 

You can find more information here: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training as well as your school's International office. 

In short, this program is designed for international students to be able to work off campus to fulfill degree requirements and/or get extra experience in their field. That is, you would only be allowed to work in your field.

In extreme circumstances, you might be able to get approved for non-related off-campus work in order to make ends meet, but this is an exception. The idea of this program is further your training, not to make money to support yourself (since you can only enter the country on F-1 if you already have enough money/funding to support yourself). 

Dear forum, as you know students are not allowed to work off-campus with F-1 visa,

1. Is it possible to get another type visa which would allow to work off-campus?

2. Has anyone worked off-campus during his/her education in the US?

1- No, as an international student enrolled full-time in a US institution, you will get an F-1 visa.

2- Yes, it is possible. AsTakeruK explained, CPT is a possibility. Depending on your field, that could mean picking up a few courses to teach at a nearby institution. However, when CPT is motivated by financial concerns, schools can be reluctant to grant authorization, as working part- or full-time on top of your studies and teaching load might extend your time to degree, or even jeopardize your chance of success in the program.

Nitpick--J-1 status is also possible as an international student (I'm on J-1) but it comes with the same work restrictions.

I'm aware of that, but J-1s definitely concern a much smaller number of students; indeed come with the same work restrictions + some additional rules that are pretty annoying (2-year rule, 12-month bar, etc.).

Under the table.

Not a good piece of advice.

it is possible, under some circumstances, to work off-campus while on F-1 status. These opportunities are called Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). 

You can find more information here: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training as well as your school's International office. 

In short, this program is designed for international students to be able to work off campus to fulfill degree requirements and/or get extra experience in their field. That is, you would only be allowed to work in your field.

In extreme circumstances, you might be able to get approved for non-related off-campus work in order to make ends meet, but this is an exception. The idea of this program is further your training, not to make money to support yourself (since you can only enter the country on F-1 if you already have enough money/funding to support yourself). 

Can anyone bring examples of CPT and OPT? What is considered as CPT/OPT? Can I work as a RA and have CPT/OPT at the same time?

An example of CPT work would be an off campus internship at an nearby company over the summer. CPT has to be part of your degree though (it can be an optional part) so often, you will do a CPT and get some "co-op course credit" or something similar. You could in theory do both CPT and an RAship at the same time if you have a part-time CPT and a part-time RA appointment. But be careful--if you spend too much time on CPT, you might lose eligibility for OPT status. 

An example of OPT work would be a postdoc after your degree. You can also do work during your degree after 1 completed academic year (so it can be something similar to the above). 

You should talk to your International Office staff for specific details though--they know the rules better than we do here!

Finally, J-1 does come with benefits (e.g. the J-2 dependent is allowed to gain full work authorization.)

J-1 does allow for exceptions for off campus work in case of exceptional financial hardship through unforeseen circumstances, like if a scholarship is withdrawn or your home country currency crashes. I've not yet heard of anyone being granted this though.

this sounds so alien to me...

... in Canada you get a full work permit with your student visa. even as an undergrad you get it... :/

I know!! I have an American friend that moved to Canada for grad school (she did her PhD at my undergrad school, I am doing my PhD at her undergrad school) and we both have spouses that need to find work and we compare experiences often. It's completely the opposite -- Canada does so much to let her and her spouse work and we had to jump through so many hoops for us to get the same. 

Also, the thing I completely do not understand is that foreign student status in the US requires you to have ties to your home country--basically they just want you to come, learn, and leave. Time as a foreign student does not count for any green card/permanent residence/citizenship! Even though tons of taxpayer money (and American donor money) is being spent on training foreign people!! But in Canada, there is a pathway to PR/citizenship for PhD students so that we keep Canadian-trained people (trained with Canadian money!) in Canada. I feel the American way is so weird and backwards. 

An example of CPT work would be an off campus internship at an nearby company over the summer. CPT has to be part of your degree though (it can be an optional part) so often, you will do a CPT and get some "co-op course credit" or something similar. You could in theory do both CPT and an RAship at the same time if you have a part-time CPT and a part-time RA appointment. But be careful--if you spend too much time on CPT, you might lose eligibility for OPT status. 

An example of OPT work would be a postdoc after your degree. You can also do work during your degree after 1 completed academic year (so it can be something similar to the above). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OPT is different than CPT, in a sense that you will need to complete a degree/program in order to work for an employer through the OPT program (e.g. post-bac research assistant / lab technician positions; post-doctoral researcher, etc.).

CPT allows you to work off-campus during the study of your program (whether you are working towards a bachelor degree, MS, or PhD), where the nature of work needs to be related to your study (e.g. research in a chemistry lab if you are a chemistry-related majors).

Both programs required a student to be a full-time student (3 quarters or 2 semesters) in the previous academic year. If you took an academic break (not enrolled / registered at your school) in the past 12 months before you apply CPT/OPT, you will have to reestablish this "1-year full-time enrollment" status before you can (and qualified) apply CPT/OPT. I went through the situation myself when I was an undergrad (with F-1, full-time for 3 years, took a year-long break, came back to the U.S., then was told that I cannot do research at an off-campus location, even though the PI has a joint appointment at my alma mater and at the off-campus location [another institution that was not directly affiliated with my (then-enrolling) school]).

Edited by aberrant

Oops you are correct, OPT is only available after degree completion. CPT is the program to use for work during degree progress. I am on J-1 status and when I was writing that, I mixed up F-1 OPT with J-1 "AT" (academic training) which allows 18 months prior to degree and up to 36 months after degree. Sorry to the OP and anyone else who was confused!