Dilemma: Take a year off or apply now with these stats?

lisa11

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a Biological Sciences undergrad at University of California Irvine. I'm about to begin fall quarter as a senior. I know my stats aren't stellar so I'm unsure whether I should take a year off to strengthen my resume before applying. My questions are:

1) Is my resume strong enough to make it into the programs I'm interested in?

2) Should I take a year off to do more research and prepare for the GRE to strengthen my application?

3) This is somewhat unrelated. I work a lot more closely with the post-docs in my lab than I do with the professor in charge of the research. I feel that the two post-docs I've been working with could write me better recommendation letters. Is it a bad idea to have one of my recommendation letters be written by a post doc?

Degree: BS from University of California Irvine (I'll be graduating spring of 2010)

GPA: 3.23

GRE: Haven't taken it yet but let's say average

Research: Over a year of independent research in a comparative physiology lab at UCI (but without any publications under my name). If I decide to take a year off, I'll be continuing what I'm doing in the lab and perhaps participate in another immunology lab.

Volunteer work: Volunteered for about a year at an animal shelter

Recommendation letters: I'm not completely confident that all 3 letters will be stellar because I don't work directly with the professor in charge.

Degrees of interest: PhD specialized in comparative physiology or PhD in developmental biology

Schools of interest: UC Davis, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, University of Arizona, Oregon State University, University of Wyoming, University of Texas, University of Colorado Denver,University of Virginia, University of South Carolina, and University of Tennessee, University of Michigan, Howard University, University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, University of Missouri, University of Utah

Thank you for reading,

Lisa

Whenever I see this question on the board my response is to do both. Apply now and if you aren't happy with the results, apply again.

It's exhausting, but a lot of folks around here have met success on reapplying. I think most folks feel that if they could "get another crack at it" they might do better the second time around. And if you end up funded in a program you're happy with the first time around, then so much the better!

I agree with belowthree. Try now and if you don't like the results, try again later.

Re: recs - it's not the best idea to have post docs write your letters. Name recognition is a factor. Can you have the post docs co-write the letters with their supervisors so your letters will be signed by professors?

Agreed with both above. If you can afford to apply now and see what happens then do it. If you do well on your GREs you probably will have a chance.

Re:Recs. It's probably not the best idea to make them your LoR. If you do at minimum make it 1 rec. If you really think it's going to be stellar, you can usually get away with sending a 4th letter.