EPA STAR 2015

kbolya1

Hey all, there is a section under the regular Grants.gov submission section (section IV.E) that also says that we should get an email from EPA and to contact them if this email is not received. Since no one appears to have gotten it, I guess we don't have to worry.

I did send an email to the NCER contact page informing them that the email 2015FellowshipsRFA@epa.gov isn't working because I need to contact them to clarify my eligibility. However, I used to be a federal grants administrator and I don't have a lot of confidence that the general mailboxes are checked all that often. I will let you know!

So I got word from my advisor, who is signed up as a potential reviewer of STAR fellowship apps, that the process might be delayed a bit. She received the following in an email from the EPA a little over a week ago:

"Thank you for registering as a potential reviewer for the EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Fellowship Program.  Please note that the schedule for the review period has changed.  The review period is now expected to begin in mid- to late August and continue through September.  Depending on the number of applications to be reviewed per research topic, you will have 2-3 weeks to complete your individual evaluations prior to the virtual panel meetings (web meetings)."

Looks like we won't be hearing back until after September...

Womp womp. Thanks for the news coyote_wrangler.

Also note that EPA's FY ends Sept 30, so if we don't hear in Sept, then that would be bad news. Seems like they're pushing the boundary based on that email.

Edited by coffee_grad

Hi All, 

I really appreciate all of the information people have shared on here. I also applied, and have been in the dark regarding my application status so it's helpful knowing I'm not alone. Thanks! 

So I got word from my advisor, who is signed up as a potential reviewer of STAR fellowship apps, that the process might be delayed a bit. She received the following in an email from the EPA a little over a week ago:

"Thank you for registering as a potential reviewer for the EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Fellowship Program.  Please note that the schedule for the review period has changed.  The review period is now expected to begin in mid- to late August and continue through September.  Depending on the number of applications to be reviewed per research topic, you will have 2-3 weeks to complete your individual evaluations prior to the virtual panel meetings (web meetings)."

Thank you!  More waiting… :unsure:

Ah, this blows because I would pass up a teaching assistantship at my school if I heard about this on time. However, the assistantship letters we receive happen in mid August, before school starts, and obviously need to be signed or not before the end of August when school begins. I wouldn't hate still having the TA-ship as well as the fellowship of course, but that was one of the points of applying- to have funding that would provide me with enough to allow me to work solely on research and coursework. 

New to the forum!  Coyote_Wrangler thanks especially for this update - very helpful.  I applied under public health (D1) & was also depending very much on hearing back by August.  It's nice knowing that there doesn't seem to be nearly as many applicants as in 2013.  This may or may not be relevant this cycle, but the last cycle they sent out rejections ~6-8 weeks prior to the acceptance letters.  Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us to get funded!   :rolleyes:

*Edit: After reading your messages about the email notification (which I had not received) - I sent an email ~30min ago to 2015FellowshipsRFA@epa.gov and it seems to have gone through.  No mailer demon email in my inbox nor my spam.  Maybe they fixed it?

Edited by corgimom

I know someone posted the update to reviewers, but is it bad form to try to e-mail or call later this month and just ask if the expected award notice time is still by August 1st... lol (even though we saw it isn't)

I sent an email over the weekend and it didn't get kicked back either. I think the fellowshipsrfa email at least exists now! Not that its existence seems to change much, but still nice to know it is open so we can attempt to follow directions.

I just received this response from the email I sent yesterday!

"Your application submitted in response to the 2015 Fellowship Program has been received and assigned the above ID number. Please keep this notification for verification of submission. Review and evaluation will take approximately 6 months. You will be notified when a decision has been made on your application.

Most questions regarding your application can be answered by viewing the announcement at
http://epa.gov/ncer/rfa/2015/2015_star_gradfellow.html. For questions not covered in the announcement, please submit your question to 2015FellowshipsRFA@epa.gov and someone will get back with you.

Anticipated award timeline:
We understand how important this funding is for you as you engage in your pursuit of a graduate degree. Unfortunately, due to delays receiving the Congressional Fiscal Year 2015 budget and internal process delays, the Fellowship award process and timeline was impacted. At this time, we anticipated 2015 Fellows to be selected and notified of their award recommendation by September and receive grant funding by late October."

Only a month off not too bad as long as there are no more delays..

Got a receipt email this am....but it stated:

"Anticipated award timeline:
We understand how important this funding is for you as you engage in your pursuit of a graduate degree. Unfortunately, due to delays receiving the Congressional Fiscal Year 2015 budget and internal process delays, the Fellowship award process and timeline was impacted. At this time, we anticipated 2015 Fellows to be selected and notified of their award recommendation by September and receive grant funding by late October.

This award timeline may require that prospective Fellows talk with their institution directly about a waiver in tuition. The EPA does not have control over the receipt of a waiver or pardon for tuition by the Fellow's institution."

Good luck everyone

Edited by angelk9

Nvmd, I see, if awarded but not given the funding till October you could request a tuition waiver. "By September" could still mean award notices come out in late August! Got the e-mail as well, btw.

I'm a little confused by this statement: "Review and evaluation will take approximately 6 months" if they indeed are trying to get these back anytime soon. Does anyone else find that odd?

At first I thought they meant 6 months from the deadline, but that still doesn't quite add up. Maybe it was a remnant leftover from a modified copy/paste form response they send out to all grant submissions and not just the STAR fellowship?