Slavic 2016 and Beyond

KingNikolai1

2 hours ago, drivetime09 said:

Currently dead

There is an epidemic of Oblomovism among admissions committees this year. My colleague drivetime died, and now I suffer alone. Maybe if I had scythed the fields a few hundred times I would have had an epiphany. Alas, I went to the local biology department, cut myself while working with cadavers, and died this morning because I chose not to disinfect the wound.

Edited by KingNikolai1

16 hours ago, drivetime09 said:

Will do! Here's to good news for both of us.

Please, oh please, let us finally hear something..

I just heard back from Yale. I was not accepted, but I am totally at peace because it wasn't the best fit. I am still eager to hear from Columbia, which is my other top pick.

21 minutes ago, KingNikolai1 said:

I just heard back from Yale. I was not accepted, but I am totally at peace because it wasn't the best fit. I am still eager to hear from Columbia, which is my other top pick.

I had no luck with Yale either.

I do agree with the lack of fit, though. Who knows. We'll see what the rest brings us

19 minutes ago, drivetime09 said:

I had no luck with Yale either.

I do agree with the lack of fit, though. Who knows. We'll see what the rest brings us

For me UPenn, UCLA, Columbia, and Cambridge are the best fits while Oxford, Toronto, Harvard, and Yale are good fits. I was on the fence about applying to Harvard and Yale in the first place, and I can assume rejections from UPenn and Harvard because I didn't receive interviews.

19 hours ago, KingNikolai1 said:

For me UPenn, UCLA, Columbia, and Cambridge are the best fits while Oxford, Toronto, Harvard, and Yale are good fits. I was on the fence about applying to Harvard and Yale in the first place, and I can assume rejections from UPenn and Harvard because I didn't receive interviews.

Yeah, I'm guessing the same about Harvard.

2 minutes ago, drivetime09 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing the same about Harvard.

I'm curious about Columbia since they haven't given any signs of life since I turned in my application. Considering the historical dates are completely off for Slavic, I really have no clue when I'll hear back from the rest.

On February 23, 2016 at 11:12 AM, KingNikolai1 said:

I'm curious about Columbia since they haven't given any signs of life since I turned in my application. Considering the historical dates are completely off for Slavic, I really have no clue when I'll hear back from the rest.

Just more of the waiting game, I guess.

On 2/29/2016 at 0:15 PM, drivetime09 said:

So it looks like acceptances went out a few weeks ago to Columbia.. a bit confused on the wait now, though.

It looks like the Ivies don't want me, and at this point I am assuming rejections from Columbia and UPenn. My interests are a bit specific anyways, and I still have to hear back from Toronto and Oxford. Regardless, I should be happy with my acceptances thus far, and if I receive funding from the Cambridge Trust, then I will be in England in a heart beat. 

On March 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM, KingNikolai1 said:

It looks like the Ivies don't want me, and at this point I am assuming rejections from Columbia and UPenn. My interests are a bit specific anyways, and I still have to hear back from Toronto and Oxford. Regardless, I should be happy with my acceptances thus far, and if I receive funding from the Cambridge Trust, then I will be in England in a heart beat. 

So another week?

This might not be the correct thread for this, but the Russian/East European Studies thread appears dead.  I was accepted into 6/6 Russian/East European/Eurasian Studies MA programs--Georgetown, George Washington, Glasgow, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Washington Seattle, and University of Wisconsin Madison.  I've received funding from Illinois, am an alternate for funding at UW, and am waiting on a decision from UWM.  I am tempted to attend Illinois simply because of the funding, but I am worried about rejecting Georgetown and GW, which have better name recognition.  Any opinions/advice would be extremely helpful.

2 hours ago, Kathleen517 said:

This might not be the correct thread for this, but the Russian/East European Studies thread appears dead.  I was accepted into 6/6 Russian/East European/Eurasian Studies MA programs--Georgetown, George Washington, Glasgow, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Washington Seattle, and University of Wisconsin Madison.  I've received funding from Illinois, am an alternate for funding at UW, and am waiting on a decision from UWM.  I am tempted to attend Illinois simply because of the funding, but I am worried about rejecting Georgetown and GW, which have better name recognition.  Any opinions/advice would be extremely helpful.

I am still waiting to hear from admissions at Toronto and Oxford, and in the meantime I have received funding at UCLA. I will be waiting as long as possible because I want to give Oxford and Cambridge as much time as I can to get back to me on funding. Unless these schools have a required deadline, there is no harm waiting until the week of April 15. Feel free to pm me about Illinois Urbana-Champaign because I am finishing my undergrad there.

On 3/15/2016 at 2:27 PM, Kathleen517 said:

I agree with KingNikolai-- there's no harm in giving it some more time, especially since it seems like you're more interested in Georgetown and GW.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you plan on studying? 

I am studying Russian and East European Studies (I thought the slashes would be an effective way to combine several program titles).  I plan to focus on the Soviet and post-Soviet periods.  I am most interested in Soviet/Russian foreign policy and the evolution of Russian identity in the post-Soviet period; I'm considering writing my thesis on Putin regime propaganda.

I plan to wait until the deadline.  I like Georgetown and GW--they're professional programs, so they're most in line with my goals, but they're very expensive.  I have funding at Illinois and I know that it is a great program, but I worry that it may be tailored to people want careers in academia.

I hope that I have clarified my concerns.  I've been having a hard time with phrasing.        

Ahh okay. From what I know of Georgetown, it seems like it would be a better fit for your interests. I don't really know much about GW, so I can't really offer any advice on that front.

But I actually did my undergrad at Illinois in Russian, East European, Eurasian Studies a few years back and it's definitely more geared towards academic careers-- like you said. They're also more history-oriented-- almost all the MA students I knew in REEES had a background in history and continued to focus on history. Illinois only has one faculty member that deals with Soviet/post-Soviet politics and policy, so that may prove to be a problem. 

With that being said, Illinois is still a great program and has great resources, but it's more of a matter of what's a better fit for you and your interests. 

I hope this helped!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...