Alternative to Magoosh - quant?

serpentina02

Hi!

I have taken the GRE twice so far (first time in 2013) and then in July of this year. While I have improved my verbal score, I did not improve my quant score at al (145). I used Magoosh and 5 lbs Math Practice book and studied over the summer.

Any recommendations for improving my quant score/alternatives to Magoosh?

Hi serpentina02,

When it comes to studying for the GRE, there are LOTS of options. If you've tried some that haven't 'worked' for you, then you need to consider the alternatives. Most GRE Companies offer some type of free resources (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.), so that you can 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a number of free resources at our website (www.empowergre.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of the free materials out there, then choose whichever one(s) best match your personality, timeline and budget.

When are you planning to apply to Grad School?

What is your Score goal?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Sorry serpentina02, I cannot help you either. 

I have taken GRE 3 times already. One in the last year and two times in the past 2 months.

I would say that, if you want to improve your math score, you have to do a lot of math problems.

In my opinion, the Manhattan prep's math part is quite difficult.  I got only about 160 on quantitative part on Manhattan's online practice.

In the real test, I got 170, 164, 168 on Quantitative part (for the 2nd time I didn't read math because I was too incautious).

I would say that doing math exercise is very crucial to improve the scores.

Moreover, you have to study the proper ways to solve each problems (time is important).

Hope this can help.

• 2 weeks later...

serpentina, I bought the GRE official guide, the Manhattan tests, Magoosh, and EmpowerGRE. I've picked up 9 points so far after 3 practice tests. I actually really like EmpowerGRE because its math rules and approach based. It was the approach training that was missing for me before, so adding that element has really helped. The official guide is really good to keep going back to.

Hi!

I have taken the GRE twice so far (first time in 2013) and then in July of this year. While I have improved my verbal score, I did not improve my quant score at al (145). I used Magoosh and 5 lbs Math Practice book and studied over the summer.

Any recommendations for improving my quant score/alternatives to Magoosh?

Might you be able to elaborate on why you think Magoosh was not helpful? I am currently using Magoosh as a resource and would be interested to hear your opinion. Besides that company I have also used the practice material straight from ETS- something along the lines of "Officlal GRE general preparation" and it seems to be helpful as well.

I would try to tackle quantitative like any other subject- identify your weaknesses first and then independently develop those areas. For example, I found I had difficulties doing combinations/permutation problems and found other resources to learn how to tackle them- now they're easy points. Else, always answer the prompt directly (select ALL answers above X) and write out an equation for anything possible. Best of luck fam.

One thing to consider is how much math you're doing as opposed to watching. Watching people demonstrate problems isn't that helpful; struggling your own way through math concept workbooks and real GRE questions is much more helpful. Reading the explanation in the back of the book and then doing the problem isn't what you want to be doing, either.