Suggestions for application

bio_undergrad

Undergrad Institution: Top institute in India (Comparable to IIT)
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Physics
GPA in Major: equivalent to 3.85-3.95 
Overall GPA: equivalent to 3.75
Position in Class: not sure, second among biology majors (not sure if this is required)

General GRE Scores (revised version)

Q:166
V:163
W:4.0

Subject GRE Scores

Yet to take

TOEFL Score

Yet to take

Research Experience: 2 summer internships in my home institution (one after 12th grade, the other after sophomore year) in crystallography and cancer biology, 1 summer internship in TIFR (one of the top research institutes in India, but not in Biology), 1 summer internship in UCSD in collaboration with Professors in UFlorida (after junior year) in structural biology/virology, undergrad final project in my home institution on protein folding/biophysics; presented a poster in a student symposium.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NTSE (National Talent Search Examination) State Scholar, KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana) Scholar, Khorana Scholar.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None. 
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
NCAT (National Creativity and Aptitude Test) All India rank 14, HBCSE-NIUS (Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education - National Institute of Undergraduate Studies) Fellow, Top 1% in Regional Biology Olympiad.

Applying to Where (thinking of) :

Stanford Biosciences Program

UCSF Tetrad Program

UCSD Biological Sciences Program

Johns Hopkins CMDB and PCMB Programs

Harvard BBS Program

Cornell BBS Program

UC Davis BMCDB Program

NYU Biology Program

University of Southern California Cancer Biology and Genomics Program

Purdue University Biological Sciences Program

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor MCDB Program

McGill University/University of British Columbia/University of Toronto

This is a very, very preliminary list. I'm looking at integrated biology and multidisciplinary programs. It'd be of great help if you guys could tell me what my odds in these programs are. I'd be grateful if you have suggestions of other programs. :)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Undergrad Institution: Top institute in India (Comparable to IIT)
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Physics
GPA in Major: equivalent to 3.85-3.95 
Overall GPA: equivalent to 3.75
Position in Class: not sure, second among biology majors (not sure if this is required)

General GRE Scores (revised version)

Q:166
V:163
W:4.0

Subject GRE Scores

Yet to take

TOEFL Score

Yet to take

Research Experience: 2 summer internships in my home institution (one after 12th grade, the other after sophomore year) in crystallography and cancer biology, 1 summer internship in TIFR (one of the top research institutes in India, but not in Biology), 1 summer internship in UCSD in collaboration with Professors in UFlorida (after junior year) in structural biology/virology, undergrad final project in my home institution on protein folding/biophysics; presented a poster in a student symposium.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NTSE (National Talent Search Examination) State Scholar, KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana) Scholar, Khorana Scholar.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None. 
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
NCAT (National Creativity and Aptitude Test) All India rank 14, HBCSE-NIUS (Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education - National Institute of Undergraduate Studies) Fellow, Top 1% in Regional Biology Olympiad.

Applying to Where (thinking of) :

Stanford Biosciences Program

UCSF Tetrad Program

UCSD Biological Sciences Program

Johns Hopkins CMDB and PCMB Programs

Harvard BBS Program

Cornell BBS Program

UC Davis BMCDB Program

NYU Biology Program

University of Southern California Cancer Biology and Genomics Program

Purdue University Biological Sciences Program

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor MCDB Program

McGill University/University of British Columbia/University of Toronto

This is a very, very preliminary list. I'm looking at integrated biology and multidisciplinary programs. It'd be of great help if you guys could tell me what my odds in these programs are. I'd be grateful if you have suggestions of other programs. :)

Thanks!

What do you want to study? What are your research interests? 

• 4 weeks later...

Biophysics and systems biology. But I don't have experience in the latter, just courses.

But, I would like to have the chance to explore other fields as well. Hence, I'm applying to the interdepartmental biology programs.

Edited by bio_undergrad
Needed to add details

On 10/15/2015, 7:42:37, Microburritology said:

Haha. Same stats, same country, targeting almost the same schools, but I'll have to say I have more work experience.

Which school did you graduate from?

My identity would be a giveaway if I told you that. Sorry :)

Can I ask you yours? (It's not fair, I know)

On November 12, 2015 at 2:56:45 PM, bio_undergrad said:

Biophysics and systems biology. But I don't have experience in the latter, just courses.

But, I would like to have the chance to explore other fields as well. Hence, I'm applying to the interdepartmental biology programs.

For what it is worth graduate school is not the place to find yourself.  Granted, with lab rotations that is likely to happen but keep in mind that while you do not need a narrow focus of interest/intent going in I'd leave the part about "exploring other fields" out of the SOP and interviews. 

As for schools/programs, you seem only interested in the top programs (I tip my hat to ya for not listing MIT).  A few things to keep in mind, with U.S. schools anyways, is that sometimes the best programs are not at the "best" schools and the best programs for you might not be at the top schools.  "Rock star" scientists are all over the place, even at "no name" schools in the middle of nowhere. 

I do plan to leave the exploration part from my SoP and interviews and focus on my experience and interest in biophysics. 

I realise that Rockstar scientists are in many less known universities as well. But since I still want to have some flexibility in the fields I would work on, I thought the density of very good scientists would be better in top universities. But you're right, I should think of replacing some top programs with less known programs with great researchers.

Could you also comment on what chance I could have in the listed programs?

Edited by bio_undergrad
Grammar

I mean, the deadlines are approaching so the amount of work you're gonna need to do to get appropriate SOPs and everything for each school at this point is staggering.  If you were domestic this wouldn't be a consideration because you'd be a super strong applicant.  But you aren't domestic so I would recommend pulling in some lower level, less brand name schools.  It's not that you're not strong, it's that international applicants are not held to the same standards because there is less money.  I would choose at most 3 of the following: Stanford, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Cornell, UCD, or NYU.  Replace the others with schools like University of Iowa, Brandeis University, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, University of Utah, Texas A&M, Iowa State University, Ohio State, etc.  These are great schools that will still be hard to get into but you have a better chance here.

On November 18, 2015 at 5:25:17 AM, bio_undergrad said:

Could you also comment on what chance I could have in the listed programs?

Impossible to know.  You got great stats but so will nearly all who apply to those listed programs.  In fact, you are most likely to be an "average" applicant when compared against the rest based on the info you posted above. 

It is really going to come down to your SOP and LORs.  Outside of crafting a stellar SOP, one of the best things you can do is to have LORs written specifically for why you  would be a good fit at each program.  Not sure how it works in India but here in the States the best way to do that is to feed recommenders the info you want them to include.  

Good luck.