Should I retake GRE for MBA, MPP or MPH program?

jwalker8

I just took the GRE yesterday and got (Q): 156 ; (V): 165. I am hoping to apply to MBA, MPP, and MPH programs (dual degrees where applicable) and I'm aiming for top-10 schools. I have a 3.47/4 GPA (top-3 liberal arts school and graduated with honors) I have a 3.7 in my major (Political Science). I've been out of school for two years and after doing a teaching and research fellowship abroad for a year, have been working in bank policy for the past year.

Do you think my quant score will hurt my application? Is it worth retaking? This was my second time taking the GRE and I bumped my score up from a 148 but I am worried it still isn't good enough!

My personal opinion : 

1. Should've taken GMAT. Nonetheless, your score is decent.
  2. Rest of your profile seems to be pretty good.
  3. Looking at your field (PS), my aim would be that Verbal has to be good and you have already achieved that.
  4. Don't waste time in retaking your GRE. Focus on making a solid SOP. Also, start talking to professors/employers for LORs and all.

Hi jwalker8,

When you say that you're planning on applying to Top-10 Schools, do you know the exact Schools/Programs yet? The Q156 isn't going to impress anyone, but it might not have to if the rest of your application is strong AND you present yourself correctly.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Yes I have a list of schools that, since writing this post, I've narrowed down to only MBA programs:

Yale SOM

Harvard Business School

Chicago Booth

Stanford MBA

Columbia Business School

Dartmouth Tuck

Georgetown Business School

Do you think there's no shot with my quant score? I'm currently working in bank operations so I think I can leverage the skills I am gaining here into writing some strong essays.

Hi jwalker8,

As I mentioned in my prior post, a Q156 is NOT going to impress anyone, especially at those Schools. However, every Admissions Committee at every School knows that not all applicants are great Test Takers, so they will offer invites to applicants who excel in other areas. Since these Schools are all highly competitive, you have to make sure that your OVERALL application is as strong as you can make it AND that you present yourself properly. You might want to consider working with an Admissions Expert on your applications. 

The earliest that you could reasonably apply to any of these Programs is the 2nd Round (which won't be until December or January). Have you considered retaking the GRE?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I took GRE about a month back and my score was Q-155 and V-161. I took the GRE again after 21 days and my score now is Q-163 and V-152. What should I do now? I know the scores aren't good enough but I don't have enough time or resources to take the test again. I am applying to MPP programs (HKS/SIPA etc).

Thanks

MH