MS programs where SOP and letters are not required

fizzycist

I'm applying to MS programs in mech engineering and half of them don't require a statement of purpose or letters of rec... And I'm kinda worried. Does this mean my entire decision is based on my GRE and GPA? I don't have a super stellar GPA (~3.39) and my GRE scores are alright: Q 164/88%, V 165/95%, AWA 4.0/56% My main concern is that i didn't do my undergrad in ME (I did physics and was banking on being able to be admitted conditionally and take undergrad courses) and I have limited engineering project experience. I was hoping to explain the steps I've taken to address that in my SOP.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2015, 3:20:59, fizzycist said:

I'm applying to MS programs in mech engineering and half of them don't require a statement of purpose or letters of rec... And I'm kinda worried. Does this mean my entire decision is based on my GRE and GPA? I don't have a super stellar GPA (~3.39) and my GRE scores are alright: Q 164/88%, V 165/95%, AWA 4.0/56% My main concern is that i didn't do my undergrad in ME (I did physics and was banking on being able to be admitted conditionally and take undergrad courses) and I have limited engineering project experience. I was hoping to explain the steps I've taken to address that in my SOP.

Thanks!

They can't evaluate you on what you aren't giving them. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

50 minutes ago, GeoDUDE! said:

The can't evaluate you on what you aren't giving them. 

Yeah :| I know

57 minutes ago, med latte said:

I'm in a different field, but I have never heard of programs that don't request an SoP and letters. Can you do some more research on the ones that don't? How are they ranked? Is the SoP optional?

Santa Clara does not require a SOP or letters. just application, transcript, and GRE scores for masters applicants. A little more searching revealed I freaked out prematurely. Santa Clara is my first choice though which I why I am/was worried. It is ranked #9 in CA. #85 in US. It's not like, top ten, but it's still probably going to be hard to get into (for me).