For those who went straight from undergrad to grad...

Ilikekitties

Hi all. I'm in the awkward position of being a senior in college who's applying to 10 PhD programs and 2 MA programs. I *think* that I'm relatively mature, but I don't really know. What does "socially mature" mean? What does being mature in a PhD program look like? Can a new college graduate handle the social/academic demands of a PhD program? 

I'm in the same boat, LittleCritterB. From my understanding, anthropology programs like candidates to have real-world experience beyond straight-from-high-school-to-undergraduate-straight-to-graduate. The professors writing your recommendations I would suspect would likely comment on your "social maturity," although what this looks like I'm sure is very relative. It may not necessarily mean that you have so many years of "real-world" experience--maybe it came from working as the president of an organization on campus, or during a study abroad semester. 

The best advice I've hard about a PhD program is hat they're not accepting you as a student; they're accepting you as a colleague and researcher. This means, personally, I speak to potential POI's much more professionally and in a different tone than student/teacher, but it also means having the confidence to do that. They are accepting you to do your original research; and responsibility comes with that. Furthermore, you might be expected to TA or even teach a course in your first few years, so they want someone who can handle that.  Basically, its more than being a star student. 

On 12/6/2015 at 8:35 AM, anthrostudentcyn said:

they're accepting you as a colleague and researcher. 

This is really good, especially when we are talking about PhD programs. To the OP, since you are going to be fresh out of your undergrad, the first couple of years in most PhD programs will be roughly equivalent to a Master's program. You will go to classes, do papers, etc., along with the Master's students in your school. Depending on your field, the work could ramp up after the first year or so, as you move into the independent research phase of your program. It will be more strenuous than your undergrad (obviously), but doable. Time management skills are key, both in terms of being "socially mature" and a good student.

As an aside, I would highly recommend looking into more MA programs as you apply. Speaking from a background in Archaeology, most PhD programs will want you to have a fair amount of work experience before they take you in. So, you might want a handful of back-ups, just in case. 

Best of luck in your application process! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2015 at 9:51 PM, LittleCritterB said:

Hi all. I'm in the awkward position of being a senior in college who's applying to 10 PhD programs and 2 MA programs. I *think* that I'm relatively mature, but I don't really know. What does "socially mature" mean? What does being mature in a PhD program look like? Can a new college graduate handle the social/academic demands of a PhD program? 

I went from undergrad to grad immediately and just finished my first semester. The biggest thing that I can say academic-wise is that there is more onus on you as a student. Since you are in a research program, you should have your stuff together. You are more responsible than the undergrads and in a position of authority (Keep that in mind if you are doing group projects or something of the like). 

On 12/6/2015 at 1:35 PM, anthrostudentcyn said:

The best advice I've hard about a PhD program is hat they're not accepting you as a student; they're accepting you as a colleague and researcher. 

This is the best advice and mindset to set yourself. Graduate school is a job and must be treated as so. I agree wholeheartedly. 

In my personal opinion, just remember to take breaks and not get too burnt out. I took a full course load, TA-ship, and working in the bioarch research lab (~30 hours a week) on top of papers and personal research and by the mid point it got to be a lot. So it's okay to indulge in your favourite non-academic thing like going to get messages or trips (as long as your work is done). ALSO, not just for Undergrad to Grad but all Grads, you should also read non-academic things or watch tv. this gets you away from academia and also reminds you to not speak like an anthropologist 24/7. Sure you can say that your object is commodious, or you could just say it's valuable. Remember to be a person, really. 

• 1 month later...

Socially mature means the ability to be a peer and colleague to serious adult academics, and to teach undergraduate courses with ease and authority. Anthropology PhD programs take 6-10 years to complete, and many of us don't start for many years after undergrad. Many of your fellow graduate students will be married, have children, will be caring for aging parents, and trying to think through long-term priorities alongside their academic goals and productivity. "Socially mature" seems like a polite way of saying "not a child" -- not one of our undergraduate students, but rather a peer/colleague/professional.