Official transcripts for Stanford

herdal

I have applied to Stanford University from Turkey and I have already sent the official transcripts a few weeks ago before the deadline (Dec 1).

However, my application checklist still says that the official transcripts have not been received, and they also don't reply my emails. Did any of you have a similar experience before or do you think I should send them a new set of transcripts?

Edited by herdal

I sent my transcripts in late Oct. and got the same message. My department says:

I submitted my application by the deadline, but it still says “incomplete” on the web-based checklist. When and how will I be notified if my application is complete?

The graduate application Checklist is updated by the Department staff from mid-December through mid-January. Keeping in mind that the University is structured on the Quarter system and that there is a University Winter Closure from the third week of December through the first day of classes in January, the checklists may not be completed by staff until mid-January. If the checklist status is ‘incomplete’, it may be that the applicant materials have been received, or not, and the staff have not yet had the opportunity to enter the updated information. Alternately, if certain application materials have not yet been received (i.e. official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and test scores), there should be sufficient time for the applicant to provide these materials during the first part of January.

So, I guess I should re-check in mid-January, and if it is "incomplete" until then, I'll ask to the department directly.

Now is the shut down period for Stanford, so I think this information could also explain your situation, too.

Wait, you both sent official transcripts? According to Stanford's online application, you upload unofficial, scanned transcripts, and aren't required to submit official transcripts unless and until you accept an offer of admission (at least, it's this way for my field). 

Either way, I encountered this problem when I applied to Stanford last year. I called them and was told not to worry - if they needed something further from me, they would let me know. I'm pretty sure the application will say "incomplete" until you are either admitted or not. :-)

I also sent official transcripts to Stanford, it says in the FAQ that you should do so (second question):

https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/about/frequently-asked-questions/transcripts-letters-recommendation-and-statement-purpose

My other unis handle it the way you said, i.e. official transcripts are only needed upon admission.

My checklist also indicates "incomplete" because my official transcript has not yet been received. My guess is that they are still in the process of matching mailed materials with online applications.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps the rules are different, based on the department you applied to?

I logged into my application portal, and I can see this message:

Thank you for applying to the Stanford Graduate School of Education.  Please note, due to the large volume of incoming material, it is likely your application status will remain as "incomplete" for some time.  We anticipate completing status updates by December 18th for PhD candidates and by February 3rd for MA candidates. 

Self reported GRE and TOEFL scores are acceptable for review purposes but application will not be considered complete and no offer of admission will be made until official scores are received.  Applications submitted with unofficial transcripts (uploaded) will be considered as complete.  Only admitted applicants will be contacted with instructions on sending official transcripts. The Graduate School of Education does not accept any revised documents after the application is submitted. 

All application materials must be submitted by the following deadlines:

PhD: December 1, 2015 (11:59pm PST)
MA: January 12, 2016 (11:59pm PST)

The Graduate School of Education will be closed between Monday December 21, 2015 through January 3rd, 2016

Best Wishes, 

Stanford Graduate School of Education

I have encountered this problem too. In the FAQ it says we should do so.  However, when I submitted my application to the program, I received an email with " PLEASE DO NOT MAIL YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS UNLESS WE CONTACT YOU TO DO SO. "

Nevertheless, before I submitted the application, I had sent the official transcript to the school already because I read from the FAQ that suggested me to do so. 

And, from the Stanford application portal website, my official transcript status is still "Received (Not Official)."

• 1 year later...

My situation applying to Stanford CS master in 2017 is same as darksteam's. There's no need to mail official transcripts until they tell you to do so (i.e. you're given an offer and you accept it). Even if you've mailed them, they won't be matched to your application. From what I know, this transcript rule is different from department to department.

Edited by flowingdata