Masters of Bioscience at Keck Graduate Institute ???

veritably

Hi! I'm an international student applying to PSM Biotechnology programs in the US. I came across Keck's program but don't know how good it is since it's a fairly new university and the program's kinda expensive too. I have an admit from Northeastern University and am hoping to get into NCSU's PSM program but was wondering if going to Keck if I do get in would be a good idea since its not like a proper university. Thank you!!

First, Keck is definitely a proper university. For that, just being a graduate school means UCSF or Rockefeller aren't proper universities... They're new, but that doesn't make them less of a "real" or "proper" school. Also, the consortium they're a part of (the claremont schools) are five of the best liberal arts colleges in the country. They all have great education going on there.

As for the program, I don't know about Northeastern, but Keck is a lot more industry oriented than it is oriented for academia. They have tons of connections in industry despite their recency. And if you look at their curriculum, industry internships and business classes are actually a required part of the program. It's not gonna be your regular benchwork and paper writing bioscience masters degree (super simplifying advanced science degrees, but they hardly ever even have business class electives available). Keck is a specialized program and they've honed that really well, so try to compare what it offers in its strengths for that, because they know what they lack and that's not what they're competing for. 

I saw this thread and wanted to reply. One of my acquaintances went to Keck for the same program, and got a job as an analyst at an investment bank in the silicon valley. Definitely a new university, but they do have some great industry connections.