2.0 cGPA/4.0 final year -- Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA. Should I even try?

hopefulgradstudent92

I have had my heart set on attending these schools in the future but, after loooong sessions of reading online forums, I've been feeling like there's a massive uphill battle ahead of me. I did have extenuating circumstances throughout my undergrad, but after perusing admissions websites, it doesn't seem like there are many accessibility options. What do you all think?

On April 17, 2016 at 11:25 PM, hopefulgradstudent92 said:

I have had my heart set on attending these schools in the future but, after loooong sessions of reading online forums, I've been feeling like there's a massive uphill battle ahead of me. I did have extenuating circumstances throughout my undergrad, but after perusing admissions websites, it doesn't seem like there are many accessibility options. What do you all think?

Hi there, most of the graduate school applications that I filled out had a section for outlining any extenuating circumstances during your undergrad that you would like the admissions committee to take into consideration. There's also likely going to be more focus on your final two years.

I would say that if this is something you're really passionate about pursuing - don't give up! Although grades constitute a good chunk of your application, other things will be considered too, such as your statement of intent, reference letters, and extracurricular involvement. Speak with an academic counsellor and/or professors at your school to get their opinion and advice.

I will be heading to NPSIA next year but I also got into BSIA (I didn't apply to Munk). If you have any questions, feel free to message me - I am happy to help if I can!

Well, I don't know a lot about Canadian universities, but there is a sub-3.0 gpa forum in the lobby that has some good info. 

I too had extenuating circumstances in my undergrad career and they were briefly mentioned in my SOP. Many universities are understanding of events that are out of your control. However, after said circumstances occurred, I had a proven track record of "forward motion" in which I showed significant improvement and also showed that my grades beyond the difficult times were still good. 

A 2.0 is awfully low, but if you can manage to excel in the rest of your application, you could still have a shot. I second talking with professors and counselors. Also...work experience related to your graduate pursuits often beefs up your application quite a bit.