MPP - poverty and neighborhood

emilyf413

Hi all,

I'm trying to pick my list of schools and having some difficulties with making a list that's concentrated on my specific interests. Basically, I want to study how poverty/neighborhood affects life chances and how to implement programs that address that issue of inequality. So far I've got UC Berkeley, NYU, UW Madison, and Chicago. Does anyone have any other suggestions or how I can find more contenders? I've been doing a lot of combing through the list of faculty at each school and finding people doing research in my area of interest.

Background on me, if this helps: went a very-good-but-not-Ivy large private school, 3.9 GPA, studied sociology. For the past 1+ year I've been working at a nonprofit as a legal advocate, helping people facing issues with their food stamps and public assistance.

Thanks for any advice! :)  

Edited by emilyf413

10 hours ago, emilyf413 said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to pick my list of schools and having some difficulties with making a list that's concentrated on my specific interests. Basically, I want to study how poverty/neighborhood affects life chances and how to implement programs that address that issue of inequality. So far I've got UC Berkeley, NYU, UW Madison, and Chicago. Does anyone have any other suggestions or how I can find more contenders? I've been doing a lot of combing through the list of faculty at each school and finding people doing research in my area of interest.

Background on me, if this helps: went a very-good-but-not-Ivy large private school, 3.9 GPA, studied sociology. For the past 1+ year I've been working at a nonprofit as a legal advocate, helping people facing issues with their food stamps and public assistance.

Thanks for any advice! :)  

I graduated from Duke this May, and worked with many faculty who specialized in poverty, domestic and international. Highly suggest you look into Sanford's program, which is strong in social policy overall. Some names you can look into: Robert Korstad, William Darity, Anna Gassman-Pines, Sunny Ladd (who's retiring), Anirudh Krishna, Carolyn Barnes, Elizabeth Ananat. Closely related would be health policy and education policy, both of which are strengths at Sanford too. 

Another great social policy program is Brandeis University's Heller School. I was seriously thinking about applying beforehand, and decided not to move back to New England.