Fels or Columbia

marid

I'm considering applying for Columbia's Masters in Non-Profit Management and UPenn's MPA. I love both programs, but I am unsure which one I shold apply to.

Columbia

Pros: Brand name, great courses and great location+network.

Cons: My biggest concern is the degree--I've read from somewhere that their School of Professional Studies is looked down upon by employers and other students for not being a "real" degree. The other concern that I have is that it focuses specifically for non-profit management. Now I do want to work in nonprofits in NY, but I don't know if I would change my mind 10-15 years down the line and I don't want to restrict myself.

Upenn

Pros: Brand name, network is expansive, small classes. MPA degree is flexible if I decide to change my mind.

Cons: Biggest worry about the program is that there are a lot of core/fundamental classes. Not sure how applicable they are if I'm interested in pursuing a career in public service.

I would also have to relocate for both. If there are any suggestions for great MPA schools,let me know!

Guest SIPA_MPA18

Have you looked at Columbia SIPA's MPA? It's very flexible, has a great reputation, and a large alumni network. I'm biased because that's where I enrolled, but make sure you consider SIPA and not just SPS. 

On 8/31/2016 at 10:08 PM, SIPA_MPA18 said:

Have you looked at Columbia SIPA's MPA? It's very flexible, has a great reputation, and a large alumni network. I'm biased because that's where I enrolled, but make sure you consider SIPA and not just SPS. 

I would love to get into SIPA, but there are two big reasons why I probably won't get in:

1. I don't think I'm competitive enough (a few scholarships, 3.5 GPA, internships, and extracurriculars, but compared to the student profiles I've read, I don't even come close)

2. Too expensive and I would need to re-locate to NYC and I don't have the funds to do so as of now. 

You're concerned that Fels won't be applicable if you want to go into public service? :o The entire curriculum is built for people who want to go into public service. Which of the core classes don't you think would be helpful for you?

• 2 weeks later...

@marid hi! I am not considering either program specifically given my inability to relocate, but did you end up deciding between MPA and Nonprofit Management? I am having a hard time with that decision myself and would love to hear another's perspective/experience! 

Definitely Penn. I wouldn't do school of 'continuing' or 'professional' or 'adult' studies from any uni for my principal MA. My impression is those students get no love from career services and sort of have a commuter experience.