Ontario Graduate Scholarship

Skittish

Hi :)

Sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know if non-Canadian students can apply for an OGS? (U of T)

Can you hold an OGS and a Trillium Scholarship at the same time?

Thanks!

Edited by Skittish

Yes, non-Canadians can apply for a OGS. However, there is a hard limit on how many OGS will be awarded to non-Canadians. 

No, you cannot hold a Trillium and the OGS at the same time. 

Note also that generally, there is an upper limit on grad stipends. That is, if you win multiple fellowships or scholarships, you will generally cap out at some amount. This amount depends on your school and your department. In particular, for a lot of internal department awards, you only get this money if you don't have major external money sources. 

On 10/1/2016 at 2:39 PM, TakeruK said:

Yes, non-Canadians can apply for a OGS. However, there is a hard limit on how many OGS will be awarded to non-Canadians. 

No, you cannot hold a Trillium and the OGS at the same time. 

Note also that generally, there is an upper limit on grad stipends. That is, if you win multiple fellowships or scholarships, you will generally cap out at some amount. This amount depends on your school and your department. In particular, for a lot of internal department awards, you only get this money if you don't have major external money sources. 

To build on this comment, U of T specifically is less likely (compared to other Canadian universities) to give you any more money when you win an award. It's good to win it, but I know people at U of T whose awards just replaced their previous sources of money, meaning there was no increased stipend for them. I believe when the scholarship is higher than your stipend, they wouldn't take that extra money away, but in the case of OGS, this would apply.

Meanwhile, at my current school, I got a $10k bump when receiving OGS.

Thanks to both of you. I did get a couple smaller financial awards from the graduate school in addition to the Trillium. But yes, all of these replaced the funding offered by the department since their offer was quite a bit lower. I was just curious because I keep seeing emails from my department and the school about the OGS and other awards and I was trying to sort out if I needed to consider any of them in the future. Though, my awards are good for the length of my program. Not being greedy just sorting out what's what.

thanks again :)

On 10/3/2016 at 5:16 PM, Skittish said:

Thanks to both of you. I did get a couple smaller financial awards from the graduate school in addition to the Trillium. But yes, all of these replaced the funding offered by the department since their offer was quite a bit lower. I was just curious because I keep seeing emails from my department and the school about the OGS and other awards and I was trying to sort out if I needed to consider any of them in the future. Though, my awards are good for the length of my program. Not being greedy just sorting out what's what.

thanks again :)

It's not greedy! Apply for everything! I'm not ashamed of applying to all the scholarships available, and paying attention to all small jobs and opportunities that come my way. After all, it is the time to expand your cv/experiences, and work is a good way to do that.