How Long after Interview Should I Be Worried?

ZosoPage

So, basically I'm just wondering how long after a formal phone interview should it take a POI to instigate contact?

I had my phone interview the Friday before Christmas (12/23). It went pretty well, she said a few times that she had other people to interview, but that I was a strong candidate. She mentioned that the department makes all the decisions, even though they have afforded her a budget for two new students. She said that with scheduling at the University and other applicants, it may be difficult to coordinate all the interviews. She ended the interview saying that she will try to get back to me no later than the following Friday (12/30). Needless to say, I haven't heard from her.

I understand it's the holiday season, and she has a family that takes precedent over my interview. Of course, I'm reading into her lack of response as some indication of my failure to be forwarded to the next phase of her application sequence.

Should I contact her this week? Should I contact her ever again, inquiring about the status of my application? Am I reading too much into it?

TL;DR Didn't get contacted after phone interview when I was told I would be. Freak out?

Wait until after the holiday season is over. I would recommend waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday. Then, send her an email along the lines of this:

"Hello Dr. POI, 

Thank you again for speaking with my over the phone a few weeks back regarding my application to [UNIVERSITY]. It was great to hear more about your research and the department. I am emailing to follow up and ask if you had any new information regarding the admissions process. 

I understand that there may not be any new developments yet, but I look forward to hearing back from you regardless.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday season!

Sincerely, ZosoPage"

This gives the professor some power in how she responds. An email can be answered whenever; a phone call, in my opinion, is a little much, especially since you are still at the interview stage. 

You are right that it is the holiday season, and she probably got sidetracked balancing work, family, and other obligations. (I thought she was being optimistic when she said she'd get back to you on 12/30!) Either way, it is probably on her to-do list and it slipped by accidentally. She will get back to you. 

Also know that lack of response does not mean you were rejected. Professors and schools have more courtesy in notifying applications, especially after they're reached the interview stage. If she took the time to interview you over the phone (right before a major holiday, no less!), then she will let you know if the program cannot take you this year. 

I would wait until its been a week that she said she would contact you. If she doesn't be then, I think its very reasonable to email her. I would say something like "Professor Awesomepants, I enjoyed our interview and look forward to possible future correspondence and the opportunity to join the department/lab/etc. If there is anything else I could provide please let me know. I'm trying to get my calendar in order so I can avoid conflicts, and would enjoy a chance to visit. Happy Holidays. Sincerely, ZosoPage". Basically what @fadedfigures said!

4 minutes ago, ZosoPage said:

That's a great response. Thank you for that. I swear this process brings out everyone's neurotic tendencies. 

Again, thanks for your reply :)

Don't worry, we are all there/have been there at one point. It's hard to submit an application with high hopes for success...and then there's silence. Nothing but pure, simple, deafening silence. 

The good (bad?) news is that our ordeal is almost over, and we will likely hear back from most places this month. So we all just have to hold on just a little while longer. 

On 1/1/2017 at 3:42 PM, ZosoPage said:

That's a great response. Thank you for that. I swear this process brings out everyone's neurotic tendencies. 

Again, thanks for your reply :)

I am in the same boat and not sure when to follow up again. @zosopage did you ever reach out to her?

Does anyone know how long do POIs generally get back to applicants after a phone/ Skype interview? The anxiety is killing me!