Hopes, Dreams, Guesses (2017 Gov. Affairs)

sturdyelm

I saw this in a different subject area and loved the idea! Especially while we are all mostly just waiting it out now with competitive/aid deadlines passed or coming up on Feb 1. So what are you hopes, dreams and guesses for admissions/aid? I guess you should also state which type of programs (MPP, MPA, IR)  and schools you applied to, but let's avoid gpa, gre scores, work experience etc., specifics (keep it for the results thread!) and focus on our hopes and dreams to keep the overall positivity. Can't wait to hear everyone's dreams! 

Applied: MPP - Duke Sanford, UMichigan Ford, Brandeis Heller, Georgetown McCourt, UMass Amherst SPP, Northeastern SPPUA

HOPES: That I get into one school with at least half tuition scholarship.

DREAMS: That I have offers with decent financial aid from my top schools (Duke Sanford and Brandeis Heller) making my decision difficult and really allowing me to be able to choose the school that would best serve my focus well.  Lots of factors to consider so not banking too much on my dreams. 

GUESSES: I don't want to jinx myself, but considering my overall package and the variety of schools I applied to, I'm expecting at least one acceptance with some level of financial aid.

I love this idea and would respond in full, but I have almost exactly the same thing to say! I applied to very similar programs. Want to get a half scholarship from at least one. Dream is to get a full ride or 75% from one of the top 4 (out of 6 applied to). And who am I to guess?! :) "I'm expecting at least one acceptance with some level of financial aid." That is all I'm allowing myself to expect at this point as well. This month or so of waiting is awful!

Applied - MS William & Mary

Hope - Neither of the profs I want to work with got their funding via EPA grants, my letter writers gushed about my brilliance, my experience and SOP blow adcom away, and I get accepted 

Dream - I get word of said acceptance in early Feb, plus full funding with a tuition waiver, and an offer to start my research early over the summer--with summer pay! I start planning to move and find housing that is affordable enough that I don't need a roomate, close to campus, and comfortable.

Guesses - I'm going to side with optimism, and say I get accepted. Don't hear it until March(but hopefully well before April!). And I end up having to choose between living close to campus/spending a boatload on housing/number of roommates I need to afford the place.

20 hours ago, Lycaon pictus said:

Applied - MS William & Mary

Hope - Neither of the profs I want to work with got their funding via EPA grants, my letter writers gushed about my brilliance, my experience and SOP blow adcom away, and I get accepted 

Dream - I get word of said acceptance in early Feb, plus full funding with a tuition waiver, and an offer to start my research early over the summer--with summer pay! I start planning to move and find housing that is affordable enough that I don't need a roomate, close to campus, and comfortable.

Guesses - I'm going to side with optimism, and say I get accepted. Don't hear it until March(but hopefully well before April!). And I end up having to choose between living close to campus/spending a boatload on housing/number of roommates I need to afford the place.

Nice to see your hopes and dreams, but you're in the wrong forum (Government Affairs) so I don't know that much to say or how things work differently in Bio. Best of luck!

Applied: Duke Sanford, Georgetown McCourt, UMd College Park, Cornell SIPA (Fulbright applied me to these schools without much feedback from me)

Dreams: I'm torn...CIPA/Sanford are good, but McCourt and UMd are located in/near DC.

Hopes: That I get in. Anything is better than nothing. Hope springs eternal.

Applied: NYU Wagner, Columbia SIPA, Syracuse Maxwell, and SUNY Albany

Hopes: I get into at least one school with significant funding.

Dreams: That is school is NYU Wagner or Columbia SIPA

Guesses: I'll get some funding from each school that accepts me, but who knows. 

Edited by baysbar94

Applied: Texas A&M MPP, Kentucky Patterson, Pittsburgh GSPIA, Penn State SIA, Florida State MIA, and Maryland MPP

Hopes: Acceptance into Texas A&M and either Kentucky, Pittsburgh, or Maryland so I have the good kind of dilemma, especially if I get some kind of funding.

Dreams: I didn't really apply for any reach schools, so nothing really sticks out to me.

Guesses: I'll probably get nervous and throw out another application or two to some safety schools. Still, the fact that I got the interview conference with Texas A&M without having completed my application hopefully bodes well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2 Februari 2017 at 1:59 AM, baysbar94 said:

Applied: NYU Wagner, Columbia SIPA, Syracuse Maxwell, and SUNY Albany

Hopes: I get into at least one school with significant funding.

Dreams: That is school is NYU Wagner or Columbia SIPA

Guesses: I'll get some funding from each school that accepts me, but who knows. 

Hey, I applied to the same schools, with the exception of Syracuse Maxwell. I also applied to Tufts Fletcher, DU Josef Korbel, the New School, and ASU. 

I got in at SUNY at Albany and ASU. Still waiting for results from the rest.

If you would share the latest news from these schools, that would be great! I'll try to do the same!

59 minutes ago, Merantau said:

Hey, I applied to the same schools, with the exception of Syracuse Maxwell. I also applied to Tufts Fletcher, DU Josef Korbel, the New School, and ASU. 

I got in at SUNY at Albany and ASU. Still waiting for results from the rest.

If you would share the latest news from these schools, that would be great! I'll try to do the same!

Hey! I've been accepted to both Syracuse and Albany, with funding info to come in the next few weeks. I think we hear back from NYU a week from today and SIPA sometime this month as well.

22 hours ago, baysbar94 said:

Hey! I've been accepted to both Syracuse and Albany, with funding info to come in the next few weeks. I think we hear back from NYU a week from today and SIPA sometime this month as well.

That's awesome news! Maxwell is quite competitive from what I gather, so congratulations! Let's hope we'll get more great news soon. So excited I can't sleep until March is over ?

Applied: Harvard Kennedy, Princeton WWS, Berkeley Goldman, Georgetown McCourt, Carnegie Mellon Heinz, and Duke Sanford

Hopes: I get into one of the schools with 75%+ funding

Dreams: To be accepted to WWS, but who is not dreaming of that?

Guesses: Well so far, I got accepted to McCourt and Heinz, the latter with most of it funded. I am hoping to be accepted to WWS still, but again it's a pipe dream. Glad I got at least one acceptance with enough funding.