Best carry-on bags?

scarvesandcardigans

Hi all!

So as I'm in the midst of visiting schools, I have been scheduling flights, and want to know if anyone has any recommendations for carry-on travel bags. I prefer backpacks with lots of room (but without bells and whistles) that are convenient for a lot foot travel, and that aren't too cumbersome. I also want to be able to use this bag not just for academic travel, but also for things like exploring cities or places on weekends, like if I took a weekend trip to NYC. 

I was wondering if anyone has a bag that they just really love when they're traveling, or any tips for light traveling as an academic which might come in handy for weekends away, conferences, etc. 

Thanks!

For packs, I recommend the GORUCK GR 1 (26 l), the Arcteryx Sebring 25, the Arcteryx LEAF Khard 30, and the Patagonia Petrolia. You can find other recommendations at Carryology.

While the Tom Bihn Synapse 25 has a legion of admirers, I don't recommend that backpack. Its brilliant design is compromised by the lack of a frame sheet and a back panel that simply doesn't breath.

For packing tips, I recommend the blog Pack Light. Go Fast.

Perhaps the single best piece of advice I would offer is underwear by Duluth Trading Company or ExOfficio and socks by Darn Tough. 

HTH