How important are CVs (esp. exhibitions) compared to portfolios?

kyarnold

Hello!

Looking to apply for an MFA program next year and begin in Fall 2018.  I have two B.A.s, Studio Art and English Literature.  I've been working in Tokyo as an English teacher since graduating a year and a half ago and I will be at this job until August 2018.

I have a lot of work, internship, and volunteer experience (all education and art-related) but very little exhibition experience (just a couple group shows per year at unknown galleries). Without language proficiency or much of a community here, trying to get into exhibitions is an uphill battle! I always heard that being an artist is like 80% art-making, 20% business, but being here it's like 30% art-making, 60% business (since every e-mail, site visit, meeting, research, etc. takes way more effort in a language I don't speak well).  

Anyway, working full time, I'm trying to figure out what is the best use of my free time so that I could be ready to apply for MFA programs in a year.  

Is it better to focus only on making art and developing a strong portfolio? Or spend *some* time making art but still continue to work on trying to find exhibition opportunities?

Thanks!

So, I'm not sure who said art is 80% art 20% business. It's at least 50/50 or even anywhere to 30/70 in my experience, but my line of work is primarily photo, and so I work commercially (as opposed to selling prints) to pay my bills and for my art making for the most part. Could be different for others.

But to your point, I would focus on making art. I mean, show work if you can, but make good work first and foremost. An MFA program is to help prepare you for a career, they're there to recognize your potential as an artist. In the admissions process, as far as I know, it's portfolio first - most of the time. So, if you don't have the work, the rest likely won't even see the light of day. If you have a great exhibiting CV, it means your art is succeeding on some level and begs the question - is an MFA really going to help much anyways? 

Edited by felixo

12 hours ago, kyarnold said:

Hello!

Looking to apply for an MFA program next year and begin in Fall 2018.  I have two B.A.s, Studio Art and English Literature.  I've been working in Tokyo as an English teacher since graduating a year and a half ago and I will be at this job until August 2018.

I have a lot of work, internship, and volunteer experience (all education and art-related) but very little exhibition experience (just a couple group shows per year at unknown galleries). Without language proficiency or much of a community here, trying to get into exhibitions is an uphill battle! I always heard that being an artist is like 80% art-making, 20% business, but being here it's like 30% art-making, 60% business (since every e-mail, site visit, meeting, research, etc. takes way more effort in a language I don't speak well).  

Anyway, working full time, I'm trying to figure out what is the best use of my free time so that I could be ready to apply for MFA programs in a year.  

Is it better to focus only on making art and developing a strong portfolio? Or spend *some* time making art but still continue to work on trying to find exhibition opportunities?

Thanks!

i think a couple of group shows a year is much more than what non-bfa people have on their cvs (or perhaps i am projecting bc I live in Chicago and feel that it is hard to get into the scene without  solid networking. how about awards or fellowships? you can try to find juried competitions that seem legit and see what it gets you. but I agree that the most important thing is the art and how it demonstrates your ideas, intentions and interests.

I imagine the language barrier is very challenging. I wish you the best of luck. You could try to send work to the bigger and more cosmopolitan markets in Shanghai and HK. But I think your portfolio is the most important. 

• 4 weeks later...