UNC vs NC State

Kepa

Hi Guys, another School A or School B question here. This time it's UNC and NC State for a phd in statistics, perhaps the most diametrically opposed (in terms of theory vs applied) of the departments I applied to. As for me, my interests are not very set in stone. I enjoy machine learning and spatial stats, but I'm fairly open to most subjects in stats/probability. And my mind is not made up on industry vs academia, so I would prefer the school that keeps either option open. I would highly appreciate any input on my dilemma. Particularly on the question of which department is considered "more prestigious" as I keep getting ambiguous responses to this question (US news world vs other rankings, statistics vs probability professors, etc)

(A&M is also an option, but I would need some major convincing to live in college station)

Edited by Kepa

I'm assuming that you mean UNC for stats not biostat, may help to clarify that for folks that want to weigh in on UNC, especially since their biostat is a bit more prestigious.  I can only comment on NCSU...

NCSU:  I visited here and found that their placements were heavily geared toward industry.  Some of the students (~15 of 130) are even funded by graduate internship training (GIT) programs while they're studying, mostly by triangle area companies.  NCSU would not provide me with a complete placement list, just said what companies they had placed people into.  This is a bad sign, when schools are proud of their placements they post this info publicly, refusing to provide a list to admitted students is a red flag for me.  Further the NRC data (2006) is missing, but it indicates that 60%+ are going into industry.

Their industry placements are very good, especially strong with the research triangle companies, but I think it's fair to say that they're not placing as many folks into academia.  I'm a student so my opinion on prestige is worthless, but I think their proximity in the USNWR rankings tells you that they're too close to matter.  It will come down to your adviser, work, etc.

Edited by Innominate