What happens if I did't respond to a campus visit invitation?

Drunkydropout

Question

Hi everyone! I have a question about campus visit. Here the thing, I applied for NEU for a phd program in ee, couple of weeks ago I received email invitation for a campus visit. I was so busy with my thesis defense that time and I did't reply, after I'm done with my defense, I found out that the campus visit date has passed. I emailed the director and got nothing.

So does it have bad influence on my application? Cause I haven't heard back from them since then... 

2 answers to this question

Yeah, it's definitely not a good thing to ignore such a request/invitation to that school. But, maybe they don't really care so in the best case scenario, this has no effect. But to me, ignoring them like that would suggest to the school that you aren't really that interested in their program and they would move onto someone else who showed interest in visiting or at least discussing it further with them.

On the bright side, this is only one program and you're not rejected until you're rejected. Maybe you'll get a response from the program director. You should also consider emailing whoever sent the invitation in the first place (if it was not the director). However, I also hope you take the opportunity to learn from this mistake. In the future, if you are applying to something, you will need to make responding to emails somewhat of a priority even when you are super busy with other important things like your defense. It would have only taken you a few minutes to write a response to ask for a later visit date due to conflicts with your thesis defense. Since you didn't do that, what kind of message does it send to the program?

7 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Yeah, it's definitely not a good thing to ignore such a request/invitation to that school. But, maybe they don't really care so in the best case scenario, this has no effect. But to me, ignoring them like that would suggest to the school that you aren't really that interested in their program and they would move onto someone else who showed interest in visiting or at least discussing it further with them.

On the bright side, this is only one program and you're not rejected until you're rejected. Maybe you'll get a response from the program director. You should also consider emailing whoever sent the invitation in the first place (if it was not the director). However, I also hope you take the opportunity to learn from this mistake. In the future, if you are applying to something, you will need to make responding to emails somewhat of a priority even when you are super busy with other important things like your defense. It would have only taken you a few minutes to write a response to ask for a later visit date due to conflicts with your thesis defense. Since you didn't do that, what kind of message does it send to the program?

Thank you very much! That helps!