Places to live- NJ

Kate22192

Hi all,

I'm looking to go to school for a Master's in speech-language pathology. Still waiting on some schools, but if I get into them, possible Montclair, Stockton, or Kean, all in NJ. Does anyone have suggestions for towns to live in near each school that are affordable but also safe? For example, Montclair is near Newark which I would NOT want, but perhaps other surrounding towns are good. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Kate

If you go to Montclair, it's actually a really nice place to be. There's a fantastic used book shop in Montclair and some nice restaurants. If you'd rather live a bit further away, Roseland isn't too far. It's a small town that's nice and safe. You might also want to look into Morristown. There's an interesting local museum you can go to if you're looking for something to do. I also know people who've been very happy living in New Providence and Berkley Heights. I'm not sure exactly what apartment rent looks like there, but those might be some good places to start looking. I don't know how far you're willing to drive, but New Brunswick and Highland Park might also be worth checking out. They're a bit farther though--about 30-40 minutes away from Montclair. But, New Brunswick is where Rutgers is, so there are lots of restaurants and things, and lots of students living there, so affordable housing shouldn't be too hard to come by.

I live in Summit, which is right near the above mentioned New Providence. It tends to be on the very expensive side. Morristown is a good suggestion, but although Montclair is near Mewark, that doesn't make it inherently bad. Montclair is a really fun, vibrant small city with great restaurants and bars, shopping, and inexpensive rent.

Edited by SarahBethSortino