Online MLIS - UofA

speechies

Hello everyone,

I have gotten into both UofT and the online University of Alberta course. I am currently working in the public library system in a very low position (page) but I enjoy it and I do not want to jeopardize my foot in the door in any. I haven't heard much good about the UofT program to be honest from recent grads. And it costs more than the UofA program. Both are accredited. My commute would be 2 hours so that would write me off for a couple of days of work and I am not sure my job will like that.

My only issue is I have spoken only to one person who is in this online program (and she is quite positive about it), I wanted to know if anyone has heard anything about it? Or if the fact that it is online would hinder my future job prospects (even if it means I can get more experience)?

I'm not sure how it is perceived in Canada, but in the US, but as long as a program is accredited, there is little difference whether it's online or in person. In fact, all of the mandatory courses in my program have migrated online, and my program is one of the older programs in the US, circa 1929.

If it's cheaper, and you've heard good things, I say go for it. Much of a library program is what you make of it, not what the program demands of you. :) 

On 13/04/2017 at 9:32 AM, Neist said:

I'm not sure how it is perceived in Canada, but in the US, but as long as a program is accredited, there is little difference whether it's online or in person. In fact, all of the mandatory courses in my program have migrated online, and my program is one of the older programs in the US, circa 1929.

If it's cheaper, and you've heard good things, I say go for it. Much of a library program is what you make of it, not what the program demands of you. :) 

Thank you so much for the response! 

Yes they are both accredited so thats good! I guess regardless I come out with the same thing. But with online it may be easier for me to move up in my current workplace.. Thank you for all of your help! :)