Making Bad Decisions in WV

Billy_Pilgrim

Hello everyone!

So, I'm about to make a really bad decision, and I just need to say it out loud. I have narrowed down my choices to Appalachian State University (experimental psychology master's) and Illinois State University (developmental master's). ISU offered me a full tuition remission and a nearly $7,000 stipend. ASU offered me an in-state tuition remission and a $5,000 stipend.

I am about to choose ASU. WHY? I will have to work if I go to ASU. I will have to take out a lot more loans at ASU. The reason: I felt very welcomed at ASU. My potential mentor came to meet me on his Saturday. It's a little closer to my family - something I didn't think I cared too much about. I'm kicking myself, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

Thoughts?

Edited by Billy_Pilgrim

Guest joshw4288

Developmental and experimental are also quite different areas and the course selection for these two programs are quite different. I would opt for the one that most helps to fulfill your future plans.

I gave up an extra 10,000 a year in stipend money for a program I felt was a better fit and was closer to home. If you feel one place will give you the education you're looking for and the people are easier to work with then it's not necessary an unwise choice. Just really have to figure out your values and choose accordingly.

Thanks for your words of encouragement everyone. I have basically been freaking out for the past 3 days over this decision. I know it is financially idiotic, and my undergrad advisor is going to flip out, but it just feels like a better fit. I'm totally terrified!

It sounds like you had an internal battle of values and one side won over. You realized a good fit and being closer to family are more important than the finances.

I don't see anything wrong with this. In fact, it's great that you were able to make a decision based on your own intuition and judgment. It's not like you'll be taking on 100k more in loans or something at ASU (at least not based on what you said). Although it's scary and you worry that you may have made the wrong choice, at this point it is best to go forward with the choice you made for better or for worse. You'll make it work.