Low GPA...great work experience

6 hours ago, Nonprofitguy said:

I think in policy circles (very loose terms), WWS is viewed slightly more favorably than HKS because they know it's hard to get in. Plus they probably have easier job attracting top students because of the scholarships, which then affects employers' mindsets.

That being said, if HKS was able to match the $$$, I would personally choose HKS for the following reasons:

• International brand/prestige - no matter where you go in the world, people will recognize Harvard and you'll be able to find alumni
  • Student lifestyle - I think Princeton offers probably the best undergraduate experience but for graduate students, not so much. Plus living in Cambridge is a lot more exciting because of its proximity to a big city
  • Networking opportunities - this is the biggest factor: while some people prefer the small class size, I think it's quite limiting in terms of networking opportunities. At HKS, I am in same class with HBS/GSB/Wharton/Sloan/Tuck students; can take classes at HBS, HLS; access to top notch guest speakers that come to Harvard; bigger alumni network to call upon, etc.

Truth be told, if you are a candidate good enough for consideration at WWS and HKS, you're really splitting hairs and can't really make a bad choice. If WWS made it easier to pursue a dual MBA/MPA - I think there's currently 1 student total at WWS who is pursuing dual MBA/MPA - I probably would have put in an application there. Just my $0.02.

I generally agree with this post.

The main difference between the Kennedy and Wilson Schools that I was alluding to above is that their funding situation is completely different. Kennedy provides little or no tuition support for the majority of their students and VERY few receive full funding. In contrast, Wilson provides full funding as a matter of course. This difference is so large that I would place them in completely separate categories. It speaks to the size of each school's endowment, which is one of the strongest statements of its strength on the job market and other measures of effectiveness. A top school official from Kennedy has posted extensively here on this topic and on how Kennedy would love to provide funding for its students but simply does not have anywhere near the resources the business or law school does. 

Having said that, sure - if Kennedy had the institutional resources to provide full funding to its students then I would agree you'd be splitting hairs in comparing them.

Speaking personally, if money weren't an issue, I also would probably rather be at Harvard/Cambridge than at Princeton because of the city and the wider university opportunities.