MA or Straight to PhD?

Gl0rfindel

Question

Hi all,

I just (as in less than a week ago) graduated with my BA. I'm taking a gap year off to work and save money, and I'm hoping to begin graduate school in literature in Fall 2018. I'm just starting the graduate school application process, and I've seen mixed information on whether it's better to apply directly from undergrad to a PhD program, or whether one should do a master's first. I'd always intended to do a master's in order to develop as a scholar and better learn my field before starting on a PhD program. However, an MA is going to mean taking on significant debt, and elsewhere on these forums, I've seen people say that only a small portion of their PhD cohort did an MA first, and that those who did do a master's feel like they wasted their time. Thoughts on this?

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I'm sure this topic has been covered in depth elsewhere on the forum, but I hadn't found anything.

3 answers to this question

An MA will help you repair your transcript, if needed, and will give a one-year look into academia without going whole-hog into a PhD.  

Those are both good, but each has a cost.  If you don't have the time and money to pay that cost, or have no need of the advantages, don't bother.

Look into which MA programs are funded. Although they are relatively rare, there are some MA programs which offer partial or full funding. There may also be Graduate Assistantships available outside of your department. For example, and acquaintance of mine worked as a Residential Director to earn her tuition and a stipend during the MA. If you are unable to get the majority of your MA funded, however, then I think going straight to the PhD would be the better option.