Should I retake the GRE?

maximum411

I recently took the GRE for the first time and scored a 168 on the verbal section and a 163 in math. I am happy with my verbal score, but feel as though I could have done better on the math. I ran out of time, and left a few questions empty without even guessing. Given that experience, I think I could prioritize my time on the math section better were I to take it again. On the SAT I scored in the high 90th percentiles for both math and reading/writing, so I expected to do similarly here. 

My question is- given these scores, would it be worth it for me to take the GRE again? I know the math is not awful, but if it could reduce my chances of admission at all, I would be willing to take the test again. However, I do not want to waste the time and money if it would not help me at all.

I am especially interested in Harvard's BBS program, and my academic credentials are very competitive otherwise.

I really wouldn't bother.  I also went back and forth about whether or not to take it again - I had 164 V/163 Q and I ended up being totally fine (got into Harvard BBS and almost everywhere I applied).  Spend your time on your Statement of Purpose, researching schools etc (or relaxing!), and cross the GRE off your list of things to worry about.

6 hours ago, maximum411 said:

I recently took the GRE for the first time and scored a 168 on the verbal section and a 163 in math. I am happy with my verbal score, but feel as though I could have done better on the math. I ran out of time, and left a few questions empty without even guessing. Given that experience, I think I could prioritize my time on the math section better were I to take it again. On the SAT I scored in the high 90th percentiles for both math and reading/writing, so I expected to do similarly here. 

My question is- given these scores, would it be worth it for me to take the GRE again? I know the math is not awful, but if it could reduce my chances of admission at all, I would be willing to take the test again. However, I do not want to waste the time and money if it would not help me at all.

I am especially interested in Harvard's BBS program, and my academic credentials are very competitive otherwise.

The math score is good unless you want a more quantitative program like math or physics, but in that case you also need the subject GRE. GRE really doesn't matter much. I got into Harvard SysBio with a writing score of 3...

I got into Harvard BBS with a Q162. My impression is that the GRE score will not be a make or break if your scores are high enough like yours are.

Your GRE scores are fine for Harvard BBS. I would not retake the test. 

Instead, focus your time on summer research, crafting exceptional essays, and solidifying letters of recommendation.