Research Technician positions

lemondrop825

Hello,

I did not get into any PhD programs this year. Right now I'm applying to research technician jobs to gain more experience. However, in the interviews I've had, they have stated they want at least a two year commitment. The PIs I have talked to have stated its takes ideally a year to train a tech before they can contribute to the lab. I ideally would like to apply next year for PhD programs. Has anyone had similar experiences in applying to research tech jobs. Is this normal?

Hello,

I was in a very similar position to yours a few years ago. I ended going into industry and getting a well-paying job during the interim but I was voraciously applying to tech positions as well. In my experience, a 2-year commitment was not out of the ordinary but it also was not the norm. I can understand why PI's do it though, a year of mostly training is a lot to put into a person just for them to leave seemingly immediately. That being said, what made the biggest difference for bolstering my application was definitely forging a working relationship with a colleague of mine who was a PhD level scientist. She ended up writing a strong letter of rec for me and I think that, along with another year of research, was what put me over the top and made me able to get into my dream school. Sorry if this wasn't too helpful but I could expand on things if you'd like.

I'm currently a tech and have been at my current position for a year now (2 years total). Most of the positions I saw and applied to last year before graduating had 2 year commitments. I think 1 year is more normal at the NIH so you might want to consider applying for a postbac IRTA there.

I am a tech now, going to phd program in august. A 2 year commitment is normal for a tech position and honestly I think in one year you gain little to no experience. If you are looking for one year programs, I would suggest looking for Prep scholar program or post bac at nih which are design to get you phd experience including course work and funding.

I'm a tech now as well and starting school in August. I did a two year commitment and honestly I'm happy I did. The second year is when I really started to understand the field of our research and guide my own project. That second year prepared me for a PhD more than anything I did in undergrad.

Grad school isn't going anywhere, you might want to think about signing on for the full two years. 

I guess I need to be more specific about my background. I already have a masters and my research experience is in the field of ecology and evolutionary biology (specifically molecular ecology). I'm anxious to get back into grad school and complete a PhD because I don't want to drag out my graduate education any longer than I have to.  I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum in a similar position and what they are doing to make their PhD applications more competitive for next year.

Ah okay. Did not realize you have a MS already, I can understand not wanting to wait then. It's hard to give you advice about what to do without knowing your app. Give us a breakdown of your app so that we can help you better. :)