Supporting yourself for the summer

The Knife

I graduated last May and have since been working for the college that I went to. Unfortunately this position ends in May, my apartment lease is up in June, and I won't start grad school till mid-August. Fortunately I'll be funded for grad school, but that leaves me about 3 months where I won't have an income, plus a month and a half where I won't have a place to live. Is there any advice out there for potential jobs for the summer? It's too late for me to apply for a research internship in my field (most apps were due Feb. 1), but I thought it might be cool to do something a little different anyway. The whole travel-the-country-living-out-of-your-car scenario won't work for me (too bad) because I still have bills to pay, but it would still be cool to try something a little adventurous/unusual. I saw something about a Disney summer job, and I figure there has to be more programs like that out there too. Thanks!

I graduated last May and have since been working for the college that I went to. Unfortunately this position ends in May, my apartment lease is up in June, and I won't start grad school till mid-August. Fortunately I'll be funded for grad school, but that leaves me about 3 months where I won't have an income, plus a month and a half where I won't have a place to live. Is there any advice out there for potential jobs for the summer? It's too late for me to apply for a research internship in my field (most apps were due Feb. 1), but I thought it might be cool to do something a little different anyway. The whole travel-the-country-living-out-of-your-car scenario won't work for me (too bad) because I still have bills to pay, but it would still be cool to try something a little adventurous/unusual. I saw something about a Disney summer job, and I figure there has to be more programs like that out there too. Thanks!

One year I looked into working for National Parks during the summer; my mom said she did it in the '70s (knee socks and brown shorts!), and a college friend worked at Mount Rushmore, I think. This was 10-ish years ago, so maybe the jobs have changed, but unless you have a skill, it's usually distributing maps, working the gift shop, being friendly.

you could try the food service industry (waiter/waitress or pizza delivery). It's not glamorous, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a temp position, it'll give you insight and I've had friends that have made 100+ dollars a night in tips during tourist/holiday season.

if you're really adventurous http://www.coolworks.com/ is a site with seasonal opportunities geared towards what carrar mentioned with national parks and such.

you could also go home and work locally and just stay with your parents for a little bit. it'll probably be the last time you get to spend an extended period with them.

you could try the food service industry (waiter/waitress or pizza delivery). It's not glamorous, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a temp position, it'll give you insight and I've had friends that have made 100+ dollars a night in tips during tourist/holiday season.

if you're really adventurous http://www.coolworks.com/ is a site with seasonal opportunities geared towards what carrar mentioned with national parks and such.

you could also go home and work locally and just stay with your parents for a little bit. it'll probably be the last time you get to spend an extended period with them.

That's my plan. However, the job prospects in my hometown are especially bad. I may not be able to find temp work in a shit job - at least funding will roll around come fall. :rolleyes:

oldlady's suggestion is a good one, especially since now is the time to be looking. Summer camps, Upward Bound, and summer programs at colleges for high schoolers all are doing their hiring now and would be an option. You won't make great money but you will make some money, plus not to have to worry about food or lodging expenses.

I've been and Ice Cream Man for 3 years now. I love it. You get paid under the table and meet some crazy people.

Get out there and sling some cream! Its good money too.

Edited by Hovarth

Have you thought about WWOOFing? (Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms) You work/volunteer on an organic farm for whatever time specified, and though they don't pay you, they house and feed you, and they have them in a ton of different countries. I was pretty seriously considering this until I unexpectedly got a job. It's not for everybody, but it's definitely a good option!

I've been and Ice Cream Man for 3 years now. I love it. You get paid under the table and meet some crazy people.

Get out there and sling some cream! Its good money too.

OMG!!! Sorry this isn't answering the question but I am terrified of Ice Cream Men!!! Wrist and Ice Cream Men are my two biggest fears (weird, I know)! I saw the movie: Ice Cream Man when I was real little and it scarred me for life!!

India? Really?

Interesting...Thailand is also cheap but it's not so darn stressful to travel around. India is a mind-opening place but if you want somewhere to relax for a couple of months I'd suggest south Thailand (not Phuket, try further south like Krabi).

South America is also cheap and fun. Chile is wonderful! You could even get some volunteer hours in helping them with earthquake clean-up. Valparaiso, ConcepciĆ³n, Santiago and the Patagonia. You could even go to other countries in the region but base yourself in Chile.