-
Posts
1,632 -
Joined
-
Days Won
48
Everything posted by Dr. Old Bill
-
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Oh pshaw! You didn't need to do that! Yes, I've been eating healthy since the summer (low-carb / low-calorie), but it's been very tempting lately. I nearly gave in to the impulse to buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's on Saturday...but didn't, fortunately. Then today, one of my professors brought in three boxes of Duck Donuts. Anyone who has ever been to the Outer Banks in North Carolina knows the legend that is Duck Donuts. I refrained from partaking, but boy was it difficult. If I get an acceptance, I AM going to go out for a nice sushi dinner with my wife, however. But LyonessRampant's point is well-taken: let the sting of rejection stop at the emotional level. It's too easy to descend into despair and the dark things that come with it if you're not careful. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Note to self: upside of rejection = tight hugs from Katla. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Noooo... I don't think anyone will think of you that way. I know I won't, at least. You've been a fount of information here for several months, and you've become a fount of inspiration now (even though I usually avoid that overtone-laden word). And as I like to remind folks who start going down that path of blaming-the-acceptees, you can only choose ONE program. The rest will presumably open up to the waitlists. In other words, in most cases it's not like the offers you reject are slots that will disappear. It all works out. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Holy cow! Is that 4 for 4 now? At this point I wonder if you'll have a clean sweep! Congrats again, Hypervodka!! -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Indeed! I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's early, as many forum veterans justly remind us, but things are definitely in full swing. I'm always legitimately happy to see the good folks here at GC get acceptances as well. I don't think it's at all hypocritical to simultaneously want one of them to come my way soon too. (Someone needs to introduce a nail-biting emoji here). -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Yeah, my current institution sends out five or six emails per day on average. I've finally unlinked my accounts, as every email notification makes me squirm a little. I check my spam folder religiously as well. Never have so many rich Nigerians had their emails viewed... -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Way to go!! -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
It seems to have worked for you. I wish I had house gods. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
AH!!!! Congratulations! I love L.A....and I'm sure you will too! -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats AsKingfishersCatchFire and Ramus! -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'm about willing to bathe in fresh goat's blood and sacrifice a few chickens if it will bring me some good news soon... -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Kudos, Margery!! Regardless of any other acceptances you may receive, Northwestern is a very strong option. Congrats! -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Of all the times to be a Leo... -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats on the PSU acceptance! The post you are referring to -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Aww shucks. I actually think it's generally fairly rude and unwarranted to post one's own poems unsolicited...but I just figured this little villanelle was a little too apropos to pass up. Glad it was received in that spirit. It really sums up how I'm feeling right now (even though cell phones don't have dial tones...alas!). -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Haha. Thanks folks. Sadly I do have a sizable number of published poems, but no honorary Ph.D. is forthcoming. -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
How often I have sat alone And waited for the phone to ring, But only heard the dial tone. Some nights the silence holds me prone In reverie, remembering How often I have sat alone. I've stared it down; my hopes have grown: I thought I'd hear the siren sing-- But only heard the dial tone. I've perched, a pauper on a throne Before the phone, my rightful king; How often I have sat alone. When once I left it on its own I rushed back at its summoning… But only heard the dial tone. Before its altar, I atone With reverential suffering: How often I have sat alone, But only heard the dial tone. -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I've resigned myself to the mindset of "be prepared for notification at any time"...which obviously means my nerves are heightened 24/7. It's hard to read Modernist novels and Shakespeare plays with it hanging over my head. I just finished Death Comes For the Archbishop yesterday, and I swear I had to read every page twice because my mind invariably wandered the first time. By the way...does anyone else think they hear their phone ringing all the time these days? I've warned off all friends and family from calling me unless it's important. They've been good about that. Yet when I'm in the shower, or watching TV, or have a blender going or something, I swear I hear my phone ringing. And it never is. -
If this week goes by without some good news (and I'm counting waitlisting as "good news"!): Of course, if I manage to get an acceptance this week:
-
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Every day should begin with a Ron Swanson smile. Fingers crossed that this week brings good news to most of us. I know it's still "early," but let's be honest here...we're getting into the thick of it now! And here's hoping that the inevitable rejectees don't get too bitter and the inevitable acceptees don't gloat too much! Even though it sometimes doesn't feel like it, we're truly all in this together. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Way to go!! -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Agreed! Four of them up there now...none claimed here I don't think? Excellent program! -
Fall 2015 Applicants
Dr. Old Bill replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Welcome to a fellow Vancouverite! (I'm from there originally, but have been in the U.S. for five years). I see you already have an acceptance. Congrats! -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
Dr. Old Bill replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Welcome, Obrial! Glad to have you here to share the roller-coaster ride that is graduate admissions!
