-
Posts
168 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by drownsoda
-
Mentioning shortcoming in GPA?
drownsoda replied to uhurulol's topic in Statement of Purpose, Personal History, Diversity
I really think this depends on a.) the case specific to the person; and b.) how one goes about addressing it. If you aren't careful, it does come across like you're making excuses, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I honestly think admitting your fault in the situation would almost be better (i.e. "I had a hectic schedule and I didn't make enough time for my studies"), but I'm not even sure that's necessary. Maybe this is just me, but I viewed my grad applications like I would a job application, and it just seems weird to try to explain away your shortcomings when you're ideally trying to highlight what your strengths are and what you have to offer (not to mention it's a waste of word space if you incorporate it in your SOP). I was on the fence about using the "additional info" sections which were offered on a couple of my applications. I considered addressing my wretched quantitative score on the GRE, but since I applied to English programs, I ultimately decided that it would be pointless. They're obviously going to be able to tell that I'm bad at math based on my score, but I'm not applying to mechanical engineering programs, so it's not all that pertinent. Likewise, they are going to be able to tell you didn't have the highest GPA, because it's laid out right there for them on your transcript. They may want to know why it was low, sure, but it's tricky to address. I'd just be wary about what you put in the "additional information" section. I ended up using it on one of my applications to briefly acknowledge the year-long gap between my sophomore and junior years on my transcript, but that was because on that specific application I was unable to address it in my SOP due to word constraints (had major health problems, surgeries, treatments, etc. which forced me to drop out of school for a year). My advice would be that if you do use the "additional info" section, to be brief and concise. -
Lit LORs and "Incomplete Applications"
drownsoda replied to bgt28's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Oh my god, still no submission from him? So frustrating. Like, I'm frustrated for you. If it makes you feel better though, I have heard many times of schools accepting students with letters still pending. I'm guessing schools have different policies on this, but I'd think they would be more forgiving of late letters considering it's the one portion of your application that you have no control over. Have you emailed any of the prospective programs and asked about it? Just letting them know what's up and making sure that they're aware that you're aware/concerned may give some peace of mind. I can't imagine a professor being so dilatory about a LOR unless something was terribly wrong with him/her, especially if reminders and inquiries about the letter have been sent. Sending good energy your way! -
I got the same scores as you in verbal and writing, but did worse in quant. I didn't retake it due to time constraints, but I'm not sure I'd have done any better second round. Like I said, my quant score was awful, but I applied to English programs, so mathematics was the least of my concerns taking that test.
-
Fall 2015 Applicants
drownsoda replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
MAJOR congrats, I'm so happy for you! That's a quick response for sure. Most humanities programs don't start reporting out until mid-February as far as I've been able to tell. Some people are getting responses right now, but I think they are mostly in the sciences. I am going to be sick with nerves over the next four weeks. -
Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?
drownsoda replied to procedural memory's topic in Waiting it Out
I actually chose not to apply to any schools in California because I would hate to live there. Lol. Most of my family is from Los Angeles and it's just... ick. There are some nice things about it, but there is also smog, so I can't deal. Northern California is not bad though I guess. -
Hm... I took several classes with one professor who I grew to look up to greatly, and I feel like all of his classes really got things flowing for me; I took a course on the English novel with him, as well well as an African fiction class; the most important though was his lit. theory course. It was a "WIC" (writing intensive course) so it was 6 credits and because of it I credit him for making me the writer I am. I told him this in a thank you letter I sent him after he wrote a letter of recommendation for me. He had a huge impact on me as a scholar and as a person, and I had to make sure he knew that. I also took a 450-level theory course last semester on Zizek and Lacan which was.... well... explosive.
-
The LGBTQQIAA Question
drownsoda replied to bgt28's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
It's awesome to hear this. We have a great center for the community at my undergrad university, but I've never used it because I guess I didn't feel I needed to. It's great that it's there though and I'm happy that people take advantage of this. I'm a gay male also. I didn't address it in my SOP though because it literally has nothing to do with my main academic interests/endeavors, but kudos to those who did. I never got far in queer studies; I took one class on Willa Cather and I have to admit it was amazing being able to analyze her writing from a queer studies perspective. I was very new to the whole realm of queer theory though. I remember reading Eve Sedgwick for the first time and being flabbergasted and fascinated and feeling like my head is was spinning (in a good way). It was a really fun experience though because the bulk of the people in that class with me also identified as LGBTQ, so I made some really cool friends. -
Fall 2015 Applicants
drownsoda replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Seriously, I think the stress of the the application process has sent me into the WORST binge of mindless TV of my entire life. I watched NINE seasons of Grey's Anatomy over Christmas break, and every Gordon Ramsay show I could possibly get my filthy hands on. I moved on to Gossip Girl last night because I'd never seen it before, and ended up watching five consecutive episodes before falling asleep with little Serena van der Woodsens dancing around my head. -
Fall 2015 Applicants
drownsoda replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Damn it guys, I'm a horse. *goes back to watching Gossip Girl* -
Fall 2015 Applicants
drownsoda replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I've heard that many programs seem to be getting smaller numbers of applicants this year, but I'm not sure where people are getting this information; do some schools make their numbers public this early? If it is true, I'm not sure whether to take it as a good sign or a bad sign. I suppose it could increase your chances or severely limit them depending on the other applicants. I applied to Fordham's MA program and they reduced their application fee to $35, which I found curious. In the back of my mind I wondered if it could be because they weren't getting many applicants. All of my other programs cost at least $80+ per application. -
Ouch, nice work you two! Here goes nothing------ Stats School: Portland State University Major: English Major GPA: 3.9 Overall GPA: 3.84 GRE Scores: 159 V; 143 Q (I don't want to talk about it); 5.0 AW Statement of Purpose I had to mould each of these to fit within the schools' parameters and wishes, but essentially I started out discussing the fragmented nature of my education experience, and the ways in which it parallels with the fragmentation of postmodernism as a literary movement. Highlighted my interest on narrative evolution in the twentieth and twenty-first century, as well as the mystical and the unexplained, both as fantasy projections and as a point of tension between pre-modernist superstition and the disillusioned postmodern sensibility. Also briefly went into the dividing point in my college career when I had to drop out of school due to a prolonged illness, during which my naivety drowned in a well of incredulity, and I came to realize where my actual literary interests were in the first place (i.e. I entered college as a cretinous English major freshman who was so naive that I didn't even KNOW that contemporary lit. studies existed). Related my long-term goals with my areas of focus, primarily the ways in which we appropriate and grapple with the past in order to write the future. Writing Sample I was actually torn about using the sample that I did because I felt like it was my most well-written and perhaps cohesive work to date, yet wasn't sure how well it aligned with my points of interest. Turns out after giving it a fresh reading, it actually fit rather well. It was a term paper I wrote on Toni Morrison and Beloved, and approached the collective shattering/consolidation of identity from a Marxist standpoint, examining the ways in which the novel emphatically displays the transmutation of physical oppressions (i.e. the body) wholly into the political apparatus. I used support from the characters' fragmented emotional experiences to show the ways in which they struggle to make a future for themselves among figurative (and literal) "ghosts in the machine."
-
Shana, sorry you didn't get in first round— it sucks. I'm glad that this time it's been less stressful for you though. Trying to find some solace in the entire thing is really difficult, especially for first-time applicants like myself. The whole application process itself is enough to put you through the emotional wringer, and awaiting the responses is like insult to injury almost. You're totally right, having excessive optimism from those around you does amplify the pressure of an already delicate situation, and that's what I meant in my original post. It's not that I'm mad or ungrateful or pissed off that they believe in me— that would be absurd— but it makes the atomizing pressure of the entire process even worse. Best wishes for you this year, let's hope we all get in!
-
As dopey as it is, I just found out that they send out responses mid-February— apparently I missed that sentence on their admissions page. Haha. I applied for the early MA deadline (January 7th) so that I'd be considered for funding. I sent my application in December 31st, so I expect a response within a month or so I figure then. I'm freaking out about it though, as I really, really want to get in there. I know they're selective, but they aren't NYU selective, so I think I have a chance with my stats. We'll see.
-
Fall 2015 Applicants
drownsoda replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Seriously. Mid-February is when my dream program starts sending out responses, so I'm going to be a hot mess here coming up. I feel I'll be relying on the support of other Gradcafers more and more as the judgment day approaches. -
That is absurd. Did the student push any further with it? Were there witnesses? Good God. That's not just discriminatory, that's sexual harassment.
-
I thought about doing food items but then decided against it because I wasn't sure if my professors would want it, or if someone could potentially be allergic to stuff, whatever. It just freaked me out. Wine is a nice sentiment, but then again you'd want to make sure the professor drank to begin with, and that if they did, they liked wine. I just got mine some nice hardbound notebooks and wrote them a letter. I think I spent maybe $40 total for all three of them. If I could've done something even nicer I probably would have, but application fees pulled the plug on my spending money. Lol.
-
Fall 2015 Applicants
drownsoda replied to tingdeh's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Courtney is my spirit animal, hahaha. -
Did the student report this professor? That is repulsive and totally out of line. They should have been fired for that.
-
Well, I guess I am biased then. Like I said, I went to an ultra-liberal university in an ultra-liberal city, so I was kind of in a bubble. On the first days of class, I had professors ask each of us students individually which gender pronoun we identified with, and that was on more than one occasion. And for what it's worth, I'm not trans, but I am gay, and I never experienced any discrimination at school because of that, from anyone. Ever. That's just my experience though. I guess it all depends on the school and the confluence of people who work and attend there?
-
It is sweet, but I think it's my superstitious side that feels like I'm being cursed every time I get told "don't worry, you'll get in!" It's not just my parents either. Several of my friends have said the same thing to me, and I don't want them to say that because I don't want to believe it until it's true, you know? I appreciate that they think I'm good enough, but at the same time, I don't feel like anyone's considered the fact that I won't get in. I think it boils down to the fact that it's a lot of pressure, especially when your entire family is so sure of something that you aren't sure of at all.
-
My entire point is that no, they don't know what the grad school application process is like because they haven't gone through it, and I'm not belittling them because of that. If it sounds like that, that's not what I meant. I love both of my parents, but they are naive about what the graduate system is like— they know as much about it as I know how to do either of their jobs. I'm just talking about perspective here. It's a lot of pressure having people put stock in you when they don't really seem to grasp the whole scope of the situation that you're in.
-
I hate to complain about this, but I've recently been voicing my anxieties about the entire application process to both of my parents, which I've determinately found out is a bad idea. Why? Because the only thing my mom (bless her heart) has to say is, "Oh, don't worry. I KNOW you'll get in," which gives me a knee-jerk impulse to duct tape her mouth shut and run away screaming. I get that she's my parent and that she believes in me and all of that, but at the same time, I'm like "MOM, your education ended at a high school in Wyoming, no offense, but I don't think you're really getting the scope of this situation." Nobody in my immediate family has a four-year degree (my dad went to college for two years studying computer science but dropped out), so I feel like talking to them about any of this is almost pointless, especially with my mom— academia is just way too foreign to her. No matter what, she's always going to be like, "Oh, you'll get in. I know it," which is going to drive me mad, unless it turns out I do get in, by which I will no longer be apprehensive about her faith in me. But right now I can't handle that kind of faith because I feel like it sets me up for even more hurt if I get rejected across the board. I dunno. I think I have to stop talking about all of this to the people in my day-to-day life. Talking about it on here is different, because you guys get it. None of my close friends are college people either— no academics, postgrads, nothing. I'm a lone wolf, so all the people around me either have a romanticized and/or warped perception about the grit of this graduate school business.
-
Live with family or on my own for Grad School?
drownsoda replied to GoldenDragonArms's topic in Officially Grads
Just want to reiterate the fact that it's not black and white. It ultimately depends on what you're willing to deal with in terms of debt down the road. I lived with family during my undergrad because I attended a university downtown not too far from where my dad lived, and I saved a LOT of money doing so. I am graduating with my B.A. with about $11k in loans, total. The rest of my education was paid for with grants and out of my pocket (I've worked waiting tables for the past five years). Not to say $11k isn't a lot of money, but compared to what some of my friends have spent on Bachelor's degrees, it's dirt. I know people who went to private schools for undergrad and took out $50k+ each YEAR in loans. Fast forward to now, I'm currently applying to graduate programs, all of which are out of state, so I won't have the opportunity to be with family. Supposing I get in, I'll probably opt to live on campus, or at least close by, but I don't have major qualms about going into debt since my undergrad didn't cost me that much. My whole thing is, I don't want to even THINK about money while I'm in graduate school. I don't care if I have to drown myself in student debt (hopefully I'll get some sort of funding, but if worst comes to worst...), I cannot let myself stress over cash because I know I'll be consumed enough with my studies. If I were you, I'd give living with family a shot and see how compatible it is with your graduate school experience. If it's not working, move.
