Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About postmodern

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Arlington, VA
  • Application Season
    2014 Spring
  • Program
    MFA Creative Writing

Recent Profile Visitors

2,847 profile views
  1. So I think I'll reply. I decided it was dumb to ignore the possibility of funding. And if I didn't think I could get into a program at all, or if I thought deferring would risk any chance I had of securing a spot in any program, then this wasn't the right path for me in the first place. I went back and told American I wanted to hold off and wait until merit/admission decisions were made early next year. That being settled, I reached out to the other programs to which I'd already applied, and asked if I could just have my application put on hold until the beginning of next year, an
  2. Just throwing this out there because I'm a little stuck at the moment, and figured it wouldn't hurt to get other opinions. At least I don't think it would hurt. The situation: I've applied to several MFA (writing) programs with rolling admissions, to begin next winter/spring. I was not really expecting to get into any fully funded program, but I was looking for at least a little assistance, and then figured I'd spread the cost a bit and go part time. I was looking mostly at low-residency programs, but I also applied at American (here in DC), which is full residency. Anyway, I starte
  3. I'm involved in a start-up literary magazine that's launching this winter, and I wanted to pass along a call for submissions to the GradCafe group. We're looking for unpublished fiction, non-fiction and poetry from both new and established authors in any genre, any style. The focus is on originality of voice and telling a compelling, provocative story. The magazine website is http://www.northwindmagazine.com. Writer's guidelines can be found online at http://www.northwindmagazine.com/guidelines.html. Electronic submissions only. Thanks and we hope to hear from you!
  4. Glad to hear you loved it, and congratulations on your acceptances! Good to know that AU prepares its M.A. students well...
  5. I'm thinking about getting AU for the fall. Went to their Graduate Studies Day and really liked the program and the people I met. Anyone else going there or considering it for the fall?
  6. I assume you're looking to share a place? For that amount I'd look at Petworth, maybe Adams Morgan. Even in Arlington along the metro (Clarendon/Ballston). Adams Morgan and that section of Arlington are all pretty cool places to live, too.
  7. Thanks, grad2be. And you might be right - when I asked for a deferral last year so that I could try to come up with financing on my own, I was told that Georgetown doesn't allow deferrals that are solely "for financial reasons." I was also told I could reapply but there were no guarantees I'd get in... so I think I was forewarned. Good question about how much is too much. I agree that going to Georgetown without any funding seems far too expensive. And I have loans I've already taken out for both of my college-age children, so adding another $50K to that is not attractive to me. But no
  8. Heard back at the end of the last week via email, a standard rejection letter. I was disappointed and a little surprised because I got into the program last year, and re-applied because I'd missed the funding deadline and wanted to at least give it a shot... Maybe a more competitive group of candidates this year. Best of luck to those still waiting, and congratulations to those admitted...
  9. Should have just thanked them warmly, and asked who you should contact to make sure your name is updated in their database. And then told them you've just quit your job so you can focus on the program 100%, starting now.
  10. status symbol (I was gonna go with quo vadis... should have started a latin thing here.)
  11. Every program is different. I've seen programs that send out all their acceptances in a wave over a short period of time (even the same day), and others that stagger them a little more. No reason to worry yet, just give it a little time. Best of luck...
  12. Definitely an admissions offer if you're willing to give up the (apparently remote) possibility of a full ride. They don't give any more information on what "limited financial support" means, although I read the email as stating that if you accept, there are three possibilities: 1. You'll get some kind of limited tuition remittance, and possibly a T.A. position, though this is not guaranteed. 2. You'll only get a T.A. position, but again they're not going to guarantee it. But they're really, really, like 99% sure you'd get one of these. 3. You'll get little or no tuition remittance,
  13. Sounds a little different from the typical U.S. undergraduate situation (at least I haven't heard of anything comparable here), so it's hard to know how you'll fare. I'm sure international applicants are assessed differently just because the undergraduate accreditation (if any) is different from what we have here. I think the non-degree study option is a good one, especially because it can help you in other ways by providing another source of recommendation letters, writing samples, and so on. But I'd also contact the grad admissions office at any U.S. schools that interest you, and ask
  14. Just do it if it's what makes you happy. Some program will welcome you for the same reasons others will turn you away, or they'll ignore your age (and everything it implies to them) altogether. As for job prospects - I've heard all the same stories about how bleak the market is, especially in the humanities. But you know, someone is getting those jobs that do exist. Just go in with your eyes open and enjoy the ride.
  15. That's my understanding as well -- it's really for funded programs and for early applicants. March/April deadlines are typically for non-funded consideration from what I can tell, and these seem to be handled differently. Last year I applied in early March to a school with an April 1 deadline for non-funded consideration, Jan 1 for funding. They responded to the early applicants by mid-March, but I didn't hear until mid-June. So the April 15 deadline wasn't an issue, but it also meant that -- because I'd applied later than the early deadline -- I wasn't guaranteed a response before April,
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.