I'm an international student from South Korea, and I would like some feedback on the schools that I've chosen to apply to.
My stats are:
Undergrad Institution: Top 3 in South Korea (Korea or Yonsei)
Major: 1st major - Business , 2nd major - Statistics GPA: 4.20/4.5 (96.6 / 100 or about 3.77 / 4.00 approximately depending on the conversion policy) Student Type: International Asian Male GRE General Test: 163 Verbal (93%) , 169 Quant (95%) , 4.5 Analytical Writing (81%) Courses:
Math - Calculus I (A+), Calculus II (A) (In our school, calc I/II covers all up to multivariable), Linear Algebra I (A+), Linear Algebra II (A+), Analysis I (A+, used Rudin's PMA), Analysis II (A+), Real Analysis (A), Topology I (A+), Game theory (A+)
Statistics - Multivariate Statistics Analysis (A+), Mathematical Statistics (A+), Regression Analysis (A+), Categorical Data Analysis (A), Intro to Probability Theory (B+), Sampling Theory (B)
Computer Science & others - Statistical Computer Software (B+), Fundamentals of Data Science (A), Computer Science using python (EdX course from MIT, pass), Microeconomics (A+), Data Management & Business Intelligence (A+), and plenty of other finance/business courses that I think don't really matter
Courses I Plan to Take (Before Graduation) : Differential Equations, Algorithms Research Experience: 1. Worked as a lab intern for a year at the industrial engineering department's supply chain value analytics lab. Helped mostly on analyzing sensor data and conducting predictive analytics for equipment fault detection. Applied LSTM models on equipment time series data to predict future equipment failures using Python.
2. Just Started working at a hospital (Arguably the best in South Korea) as a data analytics intern. Currently working on applying ML methods on genome data Programs Applying: PhD in Statistics Awards/honors: Semester High Honers for 4 consecutive years Programming Experience: Python (Keras, Pandas, Pymssql, SQLlite3), R, SQL, SAS, Latex Letters of Recommendation: One professor from the Supply chain value analytics lab (Strong, professor is from the industrial engineering dept), One professor from the Statistics dept (Strong, have taken his class and received good grades, kept in touch regularly), One professor from the Statistics dept (not as strong as the rest, just received good grades in her class), One from the Math dept (taken Analysis I/II from him and received good grades) Applying to where:
Reach: Texas A&M, UCLA, UNC, U Minnesota, Penn State
Normal & Safeties: Ohio State, UC Davis, UIUC, Purdue, UFlorida, UConn
1. Worried about not having stellar stats for an international student. Especially not having the Math GRE Subject Score
2. Not sure if the list of schools is appropriate for my stats. Would really appreciate any feedback/ comments!
3. Worried about the B in sampling theory, and B+ in Prob theory and statistical computer software
4. Wondering if I have taken enough math courses. Especially considering that I've switched fields from business to stats
5. Any thoughts, comments, or just friendly words of advice would be really appreciated!