Jump to content

Puurple

Members
  • Content Count

    76
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Puurple

  1. Hey people, How should one treat courses offered in an English MA? Is it ever enough to accept program A because program B's classes are not as engaging or in line with one's interests? I am worried that the courses offered at one school are not as good of a fit for me. Is it possible to do independent study for subjects not taught, or take upper-level undergrad classes? How big of an issue is this when it comes to writing a Master's thesis? There are areas I want to continue learning more about that are just not offered at one program which is otherwise more highly regarded and in much b
  2. I have more or less a full ride offer from Toledo. It is my only fully funded offer at the moment. I am so nervous about moving to the city, though--everything I've read indicates it is high in crime, violence, and poverty. Anyone here familiar with this area of Ohio? What would you say if I was considering rejecting the offer because the city is really rough? Please help. I wish it didn't look so negative at first glance but everything I've read suggests this to be the case.
  3. I'm in a similar situation. I need to make a decision on, in my case, an MA program amongst a few offers I have--I've corresponded with all of them and they're all friendly. The funding varies, but a few are distinctly amongst my top choices. I'm really wishing there was an easy metric to consult to decide--I suppose this weekend will be spent compiling information and pro/con charts.
  4. Thanks everyone for the replies, to this point. There are definitely different perspectives. I should add that I have a significant other who has no undergraduate debt, and can move with me to work full-time. Perhaps it is possible this will aid in offsetting costs, especially during my second year. I'm starting to think that so long as a program is going half-way, as in giving me a paid assistantship, and they are academically suitable, I may weather another chunk of debt for the MA. I can only imagine it to be a trade-off--if I can become better for the future, and get into a funded PhD, per
  5. Hello all, I have asked this question in a variety of forms on other posts, but now I really need to be direct and get as many opinions as possible. I've been shutout from PhDs, applied to MA's at the last minute, and now have some acceptances. Of these, 2 are offering me full-time graduate assistantships, which pay monthly, but I would still need to pay around $15k (over 2 years) in graduate tuition. I am graduating from undergrad very soon. I already have $40k of student loan debt. I am highly reluctant to go much further into debt. However, the programs are decent and the coo
  6. Help, for those who have MA experience. I have 2 standing MA offers, both with partial funding: A.) Bigger city, slightly better funding, higher cost of living B.) Smaller city, funding is worse, cost of living significantly less Is the cost of living enough to make a difference in my case? In A, rent is going to probably be above $1k for a 1 bedroom. In B, I think I can score a 2 bedroom apartment for like under $800. I worry that A will have also a longer commute time to get to school. Anyone have advice? It seems like funding is an illusion if the place is more expe
  7. I am in a "I-haven't-heard-back-from-everywhere-yet-but-have-offers-to-respond-to" place. It is similar to a waitlist, probably. I just want my information to all come together!
  8. Anyone heard of schools wanting applicants to accept/decline offers before Apr. 15? Anyone had to accept an offer before hearing back from all programs?
  9. If you're an ambitious BA-only applicant, like I am, and you want to jump straight into a PhD program, please also consider applying to MA programs too. I applied to 14 doctoral programs and was shut out. I did not apply to a single MA. But, at the last minute, I found some whose deadlines hadn't passed and now have standing offers. I thought that I was a good candidate. It turns out, however, that the PhD pool is insanely competitive. Consequently, where I struggled to "keep up" with PhD applicants, I shined bright in my MA ones. There are many wonderful MA programs, and these
  10. Similar boat and situation. My classes are also going online. Sorry to hear about the loss of ceremonies, travel conferences and other events. It is a truly unfortunate situation, on top of those affected globally.
  11. I have a number of MA offers and I don't know what to do. Half of my MA applications have got back with me. 2 of them offer some financial assistance. The others said they are waiting to award graduate assistantships. How do I proceed? What website or metric best ranks areas to live? Do I start messaging schools I've not heard back from yet and tell them deadlines for others are approaching? This is stressful.
  12. I've been accepted to 5 English MA programs so far--none are fully funded. One of them gives a stipend which nets me around +$3,000 per year. They are good programs, but I don't know about the finances. I'm already about 40k in debt from undergrad. Is it worth pursing a 2-year MA if I need to take out graduate loans? I want to go on for a PhD and become a college professor one day. Any advice?
  13. Important question: On applications, I had to list if i was a military dependent. My dad was in the military long ago, and then got out, and since he is deceased. What would have been the best answer to put? I am worried I answered it incorrectly and it could affect my aid or assistantship funding. Please help with an answer, if others had a sense of if I'm a dependent or not.
  14. *raises hand in solidarity.* We just have to wait and see. I've already thought over alternative plans. But, my application is (probably) not as strong as most others. I don't have an MA, and I think there is a lot to be improved in hindsight.
  15. Absolutely nuts. But congratulations. Let us all have a bit of your magic.
  16. Good vibes this week, no matter what outcome arrives. I am trying to finish up a few not-so-last-minute MA applications before March comes, in order to give myself a couple other streams of possibility. Best of luck though.
  17. Is it bad form for me to email departments I've not heard yet from, with an updated transcript that shows my Fall of 2019 grades?
  18. Thank you! Does anyone else have an idea of English MA programs that have deadlines that have not passed, that also offer funding or the chance for a graduate assistantship? I am trying to find as many as possible to evaluate. I have Villanova, UNC Wilmington, and VCU so far.
  19. I just realized there are funded MA programs with deadlines left (I'm looking at you, Villanova). I am now about to embark on a not-so-rushed process to apply for some. I'm using a previous thread to guide me, but if anyone has off the top of their heads, funded MA programs without past deadlines, let me know please! I am totally adapting my original plans some. It may not be too late to try.
  20. Yes. Let us in on what your SOP looked like post facto. And writing sample. My goodness congrats!
  21. I feel similarly. I am no stranger to rejection, myself. I am searching for the glimmer of light throughout this, but am now making preparations in case I get shutout. But your stats look really strong and impressive, so I would think you have a great chance to get admitted.
  22. Yes. I should clarify that I don't know if it was a research proposal in my case, but instead small ramblings concerning interests in a field of pertinence to me. I spent a lot of time justifying the fit aspect, but perhaps, depending on how my app cycle pans out, I will need to rethink my strategy and develop a better research paragraph(s) if I apply again. But, we still have time to wait and see what happens.
  23. In the midst of all this, I wonder if my research proposal in my SOP was good enough. I'm really having second thoughts about it. I put my best foot forward and suggested something, but it could have been more concrete. I should add I am interested in A.A. Lit and 19th/20th C American Lit. I tried to find faculty that'd be relatively close to me in outlook. I just don't know for certain. I kept it rather general and broad.
  24. I agree that the rules vary. In the state I'm in (NY), I would need a teaching certificate granted most easily thru a Master's program. But I'll keep what you've said in mind. Perhaps there are other avenues.
  25. Anybody know if getting an MA in teaching, (English education), could be a viable path for me if I get shut out this cycle? I am a BA-only applicant. I would like to be a teacher of some kind, if not a college professor, eventually. I just don't know about the price and funding (most would be from graduate loans). Would I be better to cut my losses as I am set to graduate this semester, and go into the work force? Any suggestions or input?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.