Jump to content

gafoo

Members
  • Posts

    78
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

Everything posted by gafoo

  1. CNF is generally just a less-applied to genre overall! That's not to say it's less competitive, though, because there are also fewer programs that offer it, and fewer slots available generally at programs that do. I do feel that if you got on a waitlist somewhere you loved, you absolutely should consider applying again! That's a very good sign for a first cycle. Honestly, there are probably some really low-effort, high-value edits you can make that would boost your chances. It could be worth finding someone to pay for an "MFA post-mortem" review or a packet review for the upcoming cycle. Sometimes it's as simple as piece ordering, swapping out/in pieces to showcase different strengths of yours, tailoring it a bit cleaner to each program's vibe, etc. Wishing you the best of luck no matter what happens!
  2. Welp. Ohio State waitlist just closed. Barring any last-minute freak scenario where people rescind acceptances at VCU or Ohio... I've got a choice to make between Idaho and Montana!
  3. The short answer: once they tell you the cohort is filled and the waitlist is closed, and not a minute sooner! The longer answer: depending on the program, you can get a feel for your chances by how warm the interactions have been. If you're #1-2 on the waitlist and they feel really confident you've got a shot to convert, you might get a personal email from a faculty member offering to set up time to chat or seeing if you have questions, or you'll get emails asking to confirm your continued interest, that sort of thing. If you're further down the waitlist... you might get very little info. Vague/no responses to emails you send, no proactive outreach, etc. Of course, this varies by program—some places are better/worse at communicating with waitlisters generally. But if you hear that someone's on the same waitlist as you, but they're getting on calls with professors, sitting in on workshops, getting a bunch of nice emails and you aren't... you can assume they're ahead of you. But really, this is the cascade time. Weird stuff happens. When the powerhouse acceptees (those who got into 10+ schools) make a decision, waitlists move, and some programs might suddenly lose a handful of students they thought were a lock. Great programs sometimes have to scramble deep into their waitlists to fill out a cohort on April 15. And that's not even to mention that sometimes students have to rescind for personal reasons after April 15 (if you look at the spreadsheet from last year, you'll see that someone got a fully funded offer on May 9!!). These wacky scrambles happen. At least a few every year. But, it's worth mentioning that similarly, a great many cohorts are filled annually with little to no waitlist movement at all. But yeah, it's not over 'til it's over.
  4. Congrats on your incredible cycle omg... and thanks for opening up that Idaho spot for me lol! Out of curiosity, if you're comfortable, where'd you end up accepting?
  5. These questions are awesome and exactly what I need to remember to ask the students/directors as I talk to them in these final weeks! I honestly love the idea of teaching, and I do sort of imagine that a 2:2 load gets progressively easier as time goes on (in the 3rd year, I'd be more confident and prepared than I am as a first-year doing it for the first time?). Re: two years vs. three years... totally. It's funny because when I began my mfa search I was convinced I only wanted to do two years—two years away from the city I love, from my somewhat gainful full-time career, etc.—but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'll regret not having had that third year. Another thing for me to talk with students at both programs about! All of these general teaching tips are amazing and I'm saving these to my notes Thank you!
  6. Curious for everyone's thoughts/take on how you'd weigh the following options, all else being equal: 2-year program with a 1:1 teaching load or 3-year program with a 2:2 teaching load. Do you feel like the energy required to manage a 2:2 teaching load cancels out the benefits people talk about getting from a 3rd year of writing time vs. a 2-year program?
  7. After months of rejections, interviews, waitlists, acceptances at unfunded programs, and acceptances-but-on-funding-waitlists, I finally have my first fully-funded acceptance of the cycle, at a program I love deeply—U Montana CNF!!! I feel like my body and mind and soul are relaxing for the first time since I submitted my applications. Wishing everyone else luck as we go through these last couple weeks of purgatory.
  8. I requested to join the MFA Draft 2025 community at the same time as the '26 one and got let in! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorta interesting to look at the historical waitlist movement info but also a great way to drive yourself mad
  9. I hate feeling hope about Ohio State lmao. But looking at historical draft posts on Facebook and here, it does seem like there is usually a lot of waitlist movement at the school on/around April 15. Such a nice stipend in a low CoL town with faculty who I connect so deeply with. But overall this is feeling like a higher yield cycle for some reason... Agh!
  10. It depends, but from what I've read, it seems that (infrequent, intentional) enthusiastic communication keeps the line warm and can't hurt. Some programs just do a strict ranked list and won't deviate from it; others are assembling a cohort to curate a specific vibe or get a diversity of perspectives. I think as it gets closer to April 15 (or beyond), a program knowing that someone is enthusiastic and interested might be slightly more likely to reach out to them than somebody who hasn't reached out to the program at all. Especially if they think you're likely to accept quickly instead of drawing out the decision. Lastly—if the WL program is your top school, it doesn't hurt to send an email saying something like "this program is my top choice, and I'd accept an offer immediately if one was made."
  11. Deeply embarrassed to realize I’m a top poster both here and in the facebook group. I need to touch some grass
  12. Feeling pretty crushed about VCU rejection off the waitlist. I really let myself think that the messaging of "#1 on the waitlist" meant I'd end up getting in on April 15—I had calls with current students and both of the program directors, planned out CoL, looked at neighborhoods, reallyyyy let myself believe I might live in Richmond. This whole process is going to be the death of me lmao
  13. Lol I was surprised by that too… also 4 CNF, 1 poetry and 1 fiction is such a strange ratio. Both because that’s such a strange balance AND because I feel like CNF is always the one with fewer spots?
  14. I have never known how to make moves in silence. I have let everybody in my life know I'm applying and now I'm suffering the consequences (every time we go out they say "how are the mfa apps going?" and I let out a giant 10-second sigh)
  15. Appreciate this. Sort of in a similar boat — two acceptances; one is an unfunded, well-regarded city college in NYC. Great program and totally affordable, but I'd need to keep my 9-5 to support myself through it because of the CoL. My other acceptance has me on the funding waitlist! Anyhow. Wishing you the best of luck in your decision as well. Thanks for the kind words
  16. Coming to terms with the fact that I'm on 4 waitlists and that even though it's very possible at least one of them converts there is still a real, non-negligible chance that none of them do! I have been building an identity around moving for a program this Fall and I feel like I need to catch myself and pause. Womp womp
  17. You're not wrong! By this point last year, there were ~5 people who had posted on the sheet indicating they were accepted off a WL. And there were also at least a couple reported before this date (03/24) in both 2023 and 2024. It's definitely slightly anomalous, but still way behind when we'd expect major movement. Could be that some schools are taking longer than usual to send out decisions, which leads to more people holding out before making a final call to accept/decline offers? But yeah I've noticed this too and it is killing me lmfao
  18. My only two thoughts: 1. Don't go into debt for an MFA! 2. You only MFA once, so if you feel like a year of workshopping/prep/editing could get you into a program you're more excited about, do that! Lots of folks offer "MFA prep" or "MFA Post-mortem" feedback/workshops. Lastly... congrats on the acceptances!
  19. Thank you! Love this. Delusional and positive sounds more fun
  20. Fellow waitlisters—how are you handling this period of ambiguity? If you have a school that you think might convert, are you reaching out to students, faculty, researching more about the place/program, considering a visit? Are you also terrified about the scenario where you have to make a rushed decision for an acceptance on/after April 15 for one school's offer while the others haven't finalized yet? I have enough waitlists where I'm ""high up"" that I think one of them will convert. But it's also possible I get into none of the programs!
  21. Seems like a lot happens in the week or two prior, but there's definitely a big surge on the day-of as the final cascade happens. And then a trickle in the following week as schools scramble to refill their cohorts from the people who declined acceptance on April 15.
  22. The thing I respect most about miffy and mtown is that they are mogging all of us and haven't made a single peep about it in the forum/FB group at all. I would be talking about it constantly. Good for them
  23. It's an interesting question! It's hard to tell because there's not a clear status for "Accepted off waitlist." We have to rely on users who log an acceptance on the draft sheet and add an optional note that says something like "accepted off waitlist." That said, from 2025's draft sheet, there are: 11 acceptances post April 15th (Latest one being mid-May! Insane.) 30 acceptances in the week of April 8-15th (Of which, I think we can reasonably assume most are WL movements) Of course, the less prestigious programs (ones that offer smaller stipends, or have less reputation) often end up getting the worst end of the waitlist cascade, and I'd imagine are more likely to need to work down through the waitlist after April 15. For an "average, solid, fully-funded program," my money's on the week leading up to the deadline, and even the day-of.
  24. Now that it seems (most) offers have gone out... how long until you all decide to let your waitlists go, or decline acceptances (if you got multiple)? Do you have a target date? Are you planning on April 15 no matter what? Asking for myself, because I am going insane on my 3 waitlists and 1 funding waitlist😭
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use