gafoo
Members-
Posts
78 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
5
Everything posted by gafoo
-
Thank you for the congrats (and the intel)!! UMN was really put in such a tough situation last year thanks to all the evil political circumstances outside of their control, but I'm glad to hear it's stabilized and they're able to share a waitlist this year still.
-
It's hard to know for certain! His email said "I am writing to inform you that we will soon be offering you acceptance into the MFA program." To me, this reads as him saying they're starting to reach out in-advance of decisions going out, but that this was not an official "all acceptances are being sent out right now" type of email. Totally just a vibe though. Also, since this was from the head of the CNF faculty, I imagine it's a totally different process/timeline for each genre!
-
Thank you so so much @XXY and @Sumire11! (And @Ogwick it was U of Montana, not Iowa, lol). This is sorta my dream school lol so I'm reeling a bit. Still need to find out whether I got sufficient funding/TAship, which he said we would discuss in a phone call this week. But I'm taking a second to just be happy about the win regardless. Also—it seems like Chris is personally emailing, so I think we can definitely expect it's an in-progress slow rollout.
-
Everyone on the waitlist got this email in early April: "On behalf of the University of Minnesota’s MFA Program in Creative Writing, we would like to extend our appreciation for your application. Unfortunately, UMN’s College of Liberal Arts has suspended the waitlists for all programs for this admission year. As a result, you will receive an official rejection letter from the university soon. This circumstance is beyond our control and is not a reflection of the quality of your application or materials. Even as the MFA Program receives hundreds of applications each year and we select very few for admission and waitlisting, being required to suspend our waitlist is atypical. We wish you the very best of luck in pursuit of graduate-level creative writing study."
-
Really surprised the UMN waitlist hasn't come out yet. Later than any cycle from the last 3 years! Now I'm starting to wonder whether they'll even publicize a waitlist, given the drama of last year and them having to "suspend" the WL due to budget concerns
-
Damn. Was really hoping to get decisions on Idaho and Montana this week!
-
Based on the draft sheet, it seems like U Montana might do a slow rollout of acceptances (ie, as committee all agrees on one candidate they'll send that decision out even as they deliberate others). They seem to rollout starting around now (mid-Feb) and into mid-March. So could be any day now, could be in a couple weeks! I'm waiting on U Montana CNF as well and am really hoping to hear soon!
-
And right on schedule, just got the rejection email! On the bright side, that's one less portal to compulsively refresh
-
To be clear, I assume all the U Pitt waitlist results are only from people who interviewed, yes? Wondering if I can presume this one's a rejection since I never got an interview or any status update.
-
Nonfiction and haven't heard anything yet... Really hoping for good news on this program!!
-
Lol, I feel this. It's an honor and nice validation to have gotten the results I have so far (1 waitlist and 1 interview), but I'd love to get ONE decision with some finality to it!!
-
I'm really hoping to get closure on UMN this week (waitlist vs. reject)! By the end of next week, I'm really hoping to have heard from Montana, Idaho, and VCU... looks like historically Idaho and Montana drop their acceptances around this time.
-
I know this is ultimately a good problem to have but I have only heard back from two schools and neither are decisions with any certainty (1 waitlist, 1 interview). I feel like the universe can tell I'm compulsively checking draft and has chosen to mock me by refusing to give me any clean reject/accept decisions so far
-
I haven’t heard back from most schools, but I made it near the top the waitlist for OSU and I was a business major ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it probably helps that I’ve spent the last year submitting to tons of indie mags and have those on my CV, but I think it really mostly just comes down to the sample!
-
So, anybody have any idea how many candidates get interviewed at Hunter College vs. accepted? Is the conversion like 50%? Lower? Higher? Hard to tell based on the historic draft sheet data…
-
Oh boy, first Montana result just hit the draft sheet... my top choice school🥲
-
Anyone else apply to University of Montana? It's a pretty well-regarded, fully-funded program, and I'm surprised at how infrequently it shows up on the draft sheet...
-
Would love to find out whether I made the WL for UMN this week. My hopes of getting an interview email for U Pitt are slowly dwindling but I'd love closure from them either way too...
-
Lol honestly feel this. I'm high up on the ranked waitlist for my top-choice program, and part of me is just so mad that I now have to wait another 2-3 months in agony before I get a solid decision either way. While I'm hopeful I have some chance of getting in, I do think in some ways a rejection would've felt less stressful 😅
-
Playwriting is a totally different department, it's under the Theatre Arts MFA instead of the Creative Writing MFA. I wouldn't read much into that, as Idaho historically posts results starting in mid-to-late Feb
-
I thought I was 100% out for University of Pittsburgh, since I didn't get an interview request email... but it seems from the past years on the draft sheet that they send these out on a rolling basis, maybe? I might be living in denial but don't wanna give up hope for this one yet. Just wish I could fast forward a month!!
-
It's a black box and I don't think any of us know for certain, but historically it appears from the draft sheet that all UMN decisions come out batched by decision type (e.g., all acceptances go out at once, then all waitlists, then all rejections). If I were a betting man, I'd say that those of us who haven't heard anything yet should be expecting that we're either in the waitlist or declined batch.
-
I was sitting in a bar with my friends and I compulsively decided to check the spreadsheet super quickly. Saw a UMN result pop up. That same second, I got a call from a random Minnesota number I'd never seen before, and felt this insane moment of elation and joy. I ran out of the bar, cleared my throat, and mentally prepped myself to hear the voice of one of my future professors giving me a big congratulations on my acceptance. Nope! It was just a spam call 🫠
-
I see on Draft that two users have gotten interview setup emails for Nonfiction at U Pitt... if I didn't get any email, I'm assuming that means I didn't make the first round for the program? Only asking because I didn't even know Pitt did interviews. Do all students who eventually get accepted go through an interview? Anyone have insight into whether these requests are generally sent out in batches by genre?
-
Lol, that was me. It came in this morning as an email with a doc attached. My portal still shows as "In Review" though. So... anybody have any idea how "short and selective" their waitlist actually is?
