Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jprufrock

  1. Sorry--maybe it isn't clear in my initial post. I want to know if my fellowship funding will make me ineligible for the subsidized student loan for which I was approved. EDIT: Or if the fellowship funding will reduce the amount of the loan I may receive.
  2. I just got a letter in the mail today that said I'm eligible for the maximum student loan amount based on my FAFSA data. I'm wondering if my 5-year fellowship will make me ineligible to receive a student loan (namely, the subsidized Stafford loan). My fellowship consists of full tuition/fee remission, health insurance and a yearly stipend of ~$23,000. Given this, I probably won't need to take out any student loans, but having the interest-free subsidized loan may be an attractive option to have more liquidity and to build credit. I will definitely not take out an unsubsidized loan. However,
  3. Officially declined a Cota-Robles fellowship at UCLA and officially declined Berkeley (had been contacted about a waitlist for 1st/2nd year fellowship funding, but took myself off the list). Hope others gain better funding packages accordingly. Going to Penn!
  4. It's a pretty important thing, right? Take a flight and visit the campus in person. People can't dismiss you easily when you're standing right in front of them. EDIT: or ask your second choice for an extension so the April 15th deadline isn't as much of a concern.
  5. I'll write what you already know but are afraid to accept: You are a wonderful writer and do not require a sheet of paper confirming such. Go with the money.
  6. Declined Vanderbilt. Sadly! Loved the program there--hope the offer benefits someone else!
  7. Declined NYU's generously funded PhD offer. Hope someone here gets it!
  8. I got into Penn off the waitlist, so have hope! I just continually expressed interest by asking the Grad. Chair normal questions about the program as though I had already been accepted and was gathering information to gauge if it would be the best place for me. I also made an out-of-pocket visit, as I didn't want to make an uninformed decision (I have visited every other place, so I felt the need just in case I was accepted--glad I did, regardless of the admittedly good result). I have yet to make a decision but now that all the cards are on the table, but I expect to make a decision wit
  9. Same question plus one request to those accepted: please make a decision within the next week if you can. If I end up getting in, I want to have at least a few days to consider everything before I make my ultimate choice.
  10. Ah, sucks. In this case, it really depends on how comfortable you think you can be while going to school and having to worry about money. There are probably opportunities for outside funding when you get there (fellowships, etc, but also maybe just a normal job or tutoring positions). If you can make a reasonable estimate of your total costs and project it out to see how long it would take to pay it off, then that might give you a better idea if the option is worth taking. In my own case, I would not attend a school without full funding, as this economy seems unstable and merciless. C
  11. Many places that offer a graduate assistantship / teaching assistantship / research assistantship do so with the implication that tuition remission (and fees and health insurance) come along with it. As an official "university employee," most places absolve you of the responsibility of paying for tuition. You should check up on this, however. The main caveat I would have, I think, is that sometimes the differential between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition is not covered. In that case, you'd have to worry about tuition a little more.
  12. I met a girl from UCI this weekend at a campus visit and she was wonderful and clearly very bright. In any case, I would not generalize about an entire student population. Of course the UC schools are facing a crisis right now, but not all of them are being hit equally and the quality of a program is not entirely dependent on finances. The OP and others who have chimed in surely have experiences that should be considered, but theirs are simply drops in the ocean of other viewpoints regarding UCI and the other UC campuses.
  13. I went to UW. You can find cheap places to live around here (i.e. ~$500/mo for rent + utilities/groceries) so long as you are willing to live with others or willing to bus into campus (great public transportation here). If your ultimate goal is a PhD, then you should go for the PhD. A Masters degree won't help you get into a better PhD program, it seems, so you'd just be prolonging or elongating the time it takes to reach your ultimate goal. One year unfunded isn't bad and I'm sure you'd be able to pick up some work here or there in the summer or even as a reader/grader or research assis
  14. I figure if you're asking this question, then you're leaning more toward Northwestern. Go with your gut, yeah?
  15. It's okay to just reiterate that you've made a choice that works in your best interest. You could also say that you had a really difficult decision and that your decision is based on things that are out of the control of the departments you're declining (resources, fit, location, family concerns, cost of living etc). If you're sold on school A's offer (with better funding), then don't waver. Besides, with the better funding you can get a keyboard with a reliable space bar
  16. First, all rankings systems are completely limited by their methodology. For USNWR - They go around and ask 2 members from each English graduate program to rank schools; they then compile all the answers and you have a giant list of completely subjective and statistically irrelevant rankings. That said, this list does represent some sort of 'brand awareness' which has some sort of effect on getting noticed when you get out on the job market. For NCR (phd.org) - The list is outdated because there were significant setbacks and stalling. This ranking system is actually based off of 2005-20
  17. You sound like you're the type of person that makes things work. I know money matters, but happiness matters more. Choose the school with the better fit and your kids will be happier because you'll be following something that fulfills you beyond anything money can provide. What do you want your kids to remember when you have a bad day?: "What's the matter, [daddy or mommy]?" --- "Well kids, money is kind of tight this month" "What's the matter, [daddy or mommy]?" --- "Well kids, I feel like I didn't follow my passion"
  18. Can someone please clarify the 1-1 / 1-2 / 2-2 systems for me? Still a bit hazy on it. Thanks.
  19. News: Heard from my former UW professor that UW's final PhD deliberations will be today. Not sure if that means the last acceptances will go out today (or what it means for the MA program), but it looks like things are wrapping up. No more of this trickling essence of hate, yes?
  20. I haven't heard anything yet, so I emailed the coordinator. Can anyone post the website that linked to their decision? Or is it just the ApplyYourself page? Mine isn't updated. I don't really like my chances, but Columbia could be an interesting wildcard for me.
  21. I was rejected and no update on the app website. Good thing it was free! (for those who submitted before Nov 15th)
  22. If you get into your top choice: Accept by April 15th and be done with it, even if other schools haven't notified. If you are waiting on your top choice but have been accepted elsewhere: Decide from your current accepted list where you'd like to go by April 15th. Contact the other schools and decline their offers. Contact your best accepted choice and request an extension beyond April 15th (maybe a week, maybe a month), explain some reasonable circumstances, and wait for your top choice to notify. This also may work if you're on a waitlist. Do not: Accept a school's offer only to renege
  23. When I received my call from NYU, it was a "Private" or "Unavailable" number--can't remember which. It would be great if it were NYU--but I think it's a slim chance. Good luck either way!
  24. If you were accepted to Penn and are a postcolonial scholar, please PM me or respond here! I'd love to meet you and chat.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.