Missing Letter - Call Or Wait?

I applied to two programs with 12/15 deadlines. Both schools would "notify me in January if anything was missing" (I learned this via an email conversation with the respective dept admin.)

So, I kept an eye on the portals throughout December and made sure on January 2nd to check that everything really was there. 

Both schools, on the 2nd, were missing a letter. I waited a couple of days to see if the letters would appear (both schools are in the northeast and there was that crazy storm, so I'm sure that threw things out of whack) but no change.

So, for School A, I reached out to my letter writer first for advice - she happily offered to resend right away ("better 2 letters from me than none") and after she confirmed that she'd sent it again, I emailed the dept. alerting them to this letter's hopeful arrival. I also acknowledged that they were likely very busy post-storm and said that I'd keep an eye on the portal. 

For School B, I got a automated "we're missing this" email. I notified that letter writer (different than the one above) and she sent it ASAP. 

As of today, the letters do not appear in either school's portal. I'm happy to wait - I know they are super busy and I have NO interest in emailing them about the letter since responding to it would take away time from them updating the portals. At the same time, School B asked that the letter be in by Jan 15th and I want to make sure (for both schools) that the letters are there by that date .

So - if the letters are not noted in my file by Friday, do I call? Do I take on faith they're there and just not visible on my end? 

I'm especially nervous about this school that isn't communicating - it's a good fit for me and I have no interest in throwing my app fee into the wind with them if I can control that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...