PhD visitation

BramK

Question

Hi All,

I received an email that the head of Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College reviewed my application and would like to invite me for the campus visit. I assume this will be an interview, just called a visit, since I am being reimbursed for travel expenses.

I am hearing different things from people and hope you guys can help shed some light, especially if you interviewed or go to Dartmouth.

1. If you're interviewing, you are almost guaranteed a spot, unless you really muck it up. Is there any truth to this?

2. Should I wear a suit or business casual fine? This is the most contested question I have been asking. I don't want to wear a suit if I don't HAVE to, but don't want to show up and everyone else is more comfortable in business casual.

Thanks for your help!

1 answer to this question

First of all, congrats! That's amazing :) To answer your questions:

1. Absolutely not. While your odds certainly increase, e.g. 5/10 vs 10/200, an interview definitely does not guarantee an acceptance. Treat it like it's an interview, not as a guarantee.

2. I don't know how your field is, but my best advice is to bring the suit, and then feel it out when you get there. It's much much better to be overdressed than under dressed!