Contacting schools/POIs?

sicm18

I posted this as a comment on another thread but wanted more eyes for more opinions...

I'm needing some advice for a few programs that I'm spooked about.

I had a prof email me before the New Year complimenting the strength of my app and asking some prelim questions. He wanted my responses to those questions by the 5th of January. I replied the next day and have not heard anything back; I saw ONE person get an interview invite to this same program, although with a different POI and different concentration, and said their interview date is Feb 2... Should I be concerned? Should I reach out to this POI to follow up?

Additionally, for another school, I applied to work under an affiliate faculty from a different concentration (which they said was fine if I reached out to the prof... I had emailed her in the summer and she said she wasn't sure/was considering taking a student from another concentration). They have two sets of interviews, one early Feb and one mid/late Feb. I haven't heard anything yet.

For UA, I have seen them send many invites, but their website still says they are reviewing applicants.

Should I reach out to the coordinators or POIs? Or just be patient? I know many are in the same position as me, but I'm especially curious about the POI who reached out to me.

I would be patient. You might send a follow-up to the POI who reached out to you to verify that they received your reply and to ask them if they have any additional questions for you at this time but, I wouldn't start emailing POIs/coordinators right now unless you have a very specific, relevant, time-sensitive question for them to answer.