Interview gave me a different impression

neverguessed

Hello,

I just finished my second grad school interview and when I compared it to my first, this one was so much more promising. In interviews, the Professors were impressed with my qualifications and I received comments that I was a strong applicant, that they did not see many applicants like me, and how they could highlight the program so that I would attend.

At the dinner following the interviews, I officially met the Director and was told that he had received an email from a Professor that I interviewed with recommending me for admission and that it was said that the Program should do their best to try to get me to attend. I said that I loved everything that I had heard and stated that this program was my first choice.

However, three days later I have received my rejection letter. I am not even waitlisted. The first program rejected me too, but it was a lot less surprising.

Is this how interviews just are sometimes? Or did I do something wrong somewhere afterward to get rejected?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by neverguessed

3 hours ago, neverguessed said:

Is this how interviews just are sometimes? Or did I do something wrong somewhere afterward to get rejected?

Yes. And you can't know. It's entirely possible that the professor who liked you got outvoted or that their funding didn't come through. It's also possible that you committed some gaffe in your interviews. But, like I said, you can't know. And that's how interviews go sometimes. Sometimes you do your best and you still don't get picked.

Sorry to hear that you did not get into these two programs. As rising_star said, this is common and you probably will never know what happened.

Usually, almost every grad program gets way more qualified candidates than there are positions. So, many qualified and very good candidates get rejected because there are only so few spots. Best of luck in the remaining applications!