Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

4 hours ago, Saf88 said:

Congratulations! Better than rejection, I guess...

Jules24 and I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question for the past few weeks and so far, from what we know, no one has been accepted yet. Maybe after all decisions are sent out, they will start accepting ppl on waitlist. 

I really hope so! I wonder how big the waitlist is.. 

Since Ab1643 got an answer I think that means they are close to the end of the application list.

Edited by Jules24

11 hours ago, CF8 said:

I was waitlisted on May 25th and still have not heard anything. I'm feeling like it's time to give up. Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet? 

We still have untill mid of August, but honestly I am also loosing hope. 

9 hours ago, Dreamsofbeingateacher said:

I emailed them about being on the wait list and they said the waitlist isnt numbered. So they dont know the chances but they said in the past, the percentage of people being accepted from the waitlist is extremely low. It is very discouraging. 

That really is discouraging.  If you dont mind me asking, who did you get this info from? I emailed the head and they said ppl on waitlist are being contacted as space becomes available and not many ppl are turning down offer of  admission. They also said if we don't hear by mid-August the safe to assume that no space is left. So sad!?

Edited by Saf88

1 hour ago, Jules24 said:

I just don't understand why they would waitlist so many people if they say the admission from the waitlist is low.. why make the applicants wait and go through all this.. 

I agree. The wait has been so long and it has been an emotional roller coaster. I feel so disappointed. 

Just a question for all of you, was the OISE program the only teacher ed program you applied for?

Not to demean OISE or anything, but the overall reception of the MT program as a whole has been rather terrible throughout.
Maybe its just us students complaining, but almost everyone dislikes the way things are run by the admins here.

It's not really known to give benefits over BEd, yet the MT tuition is double the amount (12k, vs 6-7k)
There are is no A4, no additional certifications, or increased employment rates to show for the additional costs.
Its just a "masters" in name, as UofT doesn't accept their own MT students to go into any of their PhD programs.

The only reason why I went here was because I've done my undergrad here at UofT, and I know the campus area.

56 minutes ago, Jackson8918 said:

Just a question for all of you, was the OISE program the only teacher ed program you applied for?

Not to demean OISE or anything, but the overall reception of the MT program as a whole has been rather terrible throughout.
Maybe its just us students complaining, but almost everyone dislikes the way things are run by the admins here.

It's not really known to give benefits over BEd, yet the MT tuition is double the amount (12k, vs 6-7k)
There are is no A4, no additional certifications, or increased employment rates to show for the additional costs.
Its just a "masters" in name, as UofT doesn't accept their own MT students to go into any of their PhD programs.

The only reason why I went here was because I've done my undergrad here at UofT, and I know the campus area.

I think most ppl applied to more than one university, but there are a few, including myself that only applied to OISE. I applied with the same mindset.  I am also an alumna and I thought why not get a masters instead of bachlors. Anyways, as sad and frustrating as it is that we were made to wait so long only to be put on a waitlist, it's kinda relieving that we won't be made to pay a ridiculous fee. I think they get away with the high fee because they are charging for a bachlor and masters degree together. 

1 hour ago, Saf88 said:

I think most ppl applied to more than one university, but there are a few, including myself that only applied to OISE. I applied with the same mindset.  I am also an alumna and I thought why not get a masters instead of bachlors. Anyways, as sad and frustrating as it is that we were made to wait so long only to be put on a waitlist, it's kinda relieving that we won't be made to pay a ridiculous fee. I think they get away with the high fee because they are charging for a bachlor and masters degree together. 

I agree. I applied because I went to UofT.. I didn't think to apply anywhere else. Idk it all happened so quick. I didn't know the whole thing about tuition costs and pay rate etc. Until it was to late.  

6 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

I'm going to be joining the program in September and I'm really looking forward to it (as you can tell by my display name lol). Anyways, I keep hearing about students' discontent for the program but I was just wondering if you could elaborate on what the students' complaints are about. Did they not like the lecturers or their practicum experience? Or was it just that they feel they chose the wrong program and should have been in a B.Ed or M.Ed instead?

I'm really looking forward to doing this professional program because I'd like to gain both theoretical and hands-on skills to become a great educator & teacher. :D. If there's any other advice you have for incoming students, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

To those that are waiting, I'm so sorry that the admin took their sweet time with this. I hope you hear good news soon!

Edited by ExcitedtojoinOISE

2 hours ago, ExcitedtojoinOISE said:

I'm going to be joining the program in September and I'm really looking forward to it (as you can tell by my display name lol). Anyways, I keep hearing about students' discontent for the program but I was just wondering if you could elaborate on what the students' complaints are about. Did they not like the lecturers or their practicum experience? Or was it just that they feel they chose the wrong program and should have been in a B.Ed or M.Ed instead?

I'm really looking forward to doing this professional program because I'd like to gain both theoretical and hands-on skills to become a great educator & teacher. :D. If there's any other advice you have for incoming students, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

To those that are waiting, I'm so sorry that the admin took their sweet time with this. I hope you hear good news soon!

There are many issues I've seen so far from 1st year.

• The large majority of the curriculum emphasizes political discussions (left-wing typically), social justice, and anti-discrimination policies. Although it is important to have an understanding of these elements to become a teacher, not everyone has the interest to pursue these particular topics (esp. math/science teachers).
  • While most lecturers are great (or even the best of their field I'd say!), there are a few that are absolutely awful. One such lecturer was from the Indigenous experiences course we had, which received overwhelmingly negative course evaluations from all the students. The course content was fine, but the lecturer's presentation and communication skills was not of proficient quality, and far from professional.
  • Be VERY VERY careful with your opinions. The lecturers are nice and understanding, however, your colleagues may be a little bit judgmental and take things personally. This is CRUCIAL, since this is a cohort-based program. You'll see these people for 16 full months for all your courses (minus 2 electives).
  • There is a LARGE amount of readings and written reflections you have to do each week. An absolute time sink especially for people who still work part-time.
  • The actual research component is rather weak. The MTRP is no "thesis" in any way shape or form. You are limited to writing review summaries of other published work and regurgitating them into one summative argument. You have the option of expanding your MTRP into an advanced QRP paper, but you do not gain any extra course credit.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, Jackson8918 said:

There are many issues I've seen so far from 1st year.

• The large majority of the curriculum emphasizes political discussions (left-wing typically), social justice, and anti-discrimination policies. Although it is important to have an understanding of these elements to become a teacher, not everyone has the interest to pursue these particular topics (esp. math/science teachers).
  • While most lecturers are great (or even the best of their field I'd say!), there are a few that are absolutely awful. One such lecturer was from the Indigenous experiences course we had, which received overwhelmingly negative course evaluations from all the students. The course content was fine, but the lecturer's presentation and communication skills was not of proficient quality, and far from professional.
  • Be VERY VERY careful with your opinions. The lecturers are nice and understanding, however, your colleagues may be a little bit judgmental and take things personally. This is CRUCIAL, since this is a cohort-based program. You'll see these people for 16 full months for all your courses (minus 2 electives).
  • There is a LARGE amount of readings and written reflections you have to do each week. An absolute time sink especially for people who still work part-time.
  • The actual research component is rather weak. The MTRP is no "thesis" in any way shape or form. You are limited to writing review summaries of other published work and regurgitating them into one summative argument. You have the option of expanding your MTRP into an advanced QRP paper, but you do not gain any extra course credit.

I also only applied to the MT because I'm a U of T alumnus and wanted to stay within the institution and the area. I minored in Education at U of T and already the left-wing social justice focus of the program was killing me. They teach as if there is one correct political ideology that must be (for some reason) incorporated into your pedagogy. There are some wonderful people and lecturers in the field - but it is so saturated with monolithic thought and divergent opinions are often demonized both by faculty and peers. Tbh aside from the practicum, the MT sounds like my personal hell. I am thrilled to be taking the year off. Thank you for sharing. Everything you said is what I expected but it's still enlightening to get a perspective from the inside. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:16 AM, Jackson8918 said:

I have a question about actual courses... what happens if you miss a class/how often can you get away with missing class? 

During Fundamentals with Philip Marsh I have another commitment 1-2 times during the first semester. I can drop the other commitment easily but just want to see if its possible first

16 hours ago, JA17 said:

I have a question about actual courses... what happens if you miss a class/how often can you get away with missing class? 

During Fundamentals with Philip Marsh I have another commitment 1-2 times during the first semester. I can drop the other commitment easily but just want to see if its possible first

1-2 absences are fine. The instructor may or may not require you to do some make-up stuff online, but that’s up to the them. They are very lax about attendance, as long as it’s not a presentation date.

I believe, from speaking with others, that Philip Marsh requires weekly and timely submissions that ask you to reflect on the readings each week (approx 2-3 articles). So the workload should be fine.

3 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

1-2 absences are fine. The instructor may or may not require you to do some make-up stuff online, but that’s up to the them. They are very lax about attendance, as long as it’s not a presentation date.

I believe, from speaking with others, that Philip Marsh requires weekly and timely submissions that ask you to reflect on the readings each week (approx 2-3 articles). So the workload should be fine.

Thank you for the info! If you are going to miss a class, do you just email the prof in advance? Or just not show up.

Would these weekly submissions be due in person or online? 

6 hours ago, JA17 said:

Thank you for the info! If you are going to miss a class, do you just email the prof in advance? Or just not show up.

Would these weekly submissions be due in person or online? 

I have no idea, I may be a tardy student, but I do not really inquire much about absence policies.
These are just details I have observed from my peers, so I don't not have 1st hand info on his.