Application fees -- anybody hit triple digits?

plo

The recent discussion of GRE prep and the cost of taking the courses/buying books/etc. to bump up your score, I've wondered whether anyone paid an application fee in excess of a hundred bucks. Anyone? I think I paid two $90 fees and, to be honest, hope they put my money to good use to fund whoever they accepted.

U of Alberta: $100

U of Calgary: $100

McGill: $100

McMaster: $105

Toronto: $110

Of my six schools, the only one that DIDN'T hit triple digits was UBC, at a comparatively genteel $90.

Wow -- I had no idea that the Canadian schools were so expensive. Must be the whole universal health care thing. Can anyone top Toronto's $110?

Wow -- I had no idea that the Canadian schools were so expensive. Must be the whole universal health care thing. Can anyone top Toronto's $110?

My theory as to why Canadian application fees are so much more expensive stems from a) the fact that Canadian graduate programmes have fewer applicants overall than top American programmes so the overall cost of processing applications is spread across fewer people, and B) the fact that Canadian schools don't usually require the GRE so the total cost per Canadian application is a bit lower and they feel justified in charging more.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I don't think Canadian application fees aren't more expensive than American ones, as my application fees to American universities all ranged from $90-105 a piece. I'm Canadian and therefore had to pay the international application fee for American universities, which was often posted as higher than the fee for domestic applicants. For example, UCLA charges Americans $70, whereas I had to pay $90. I'm assuming that most of the posters here are American, and therefore paid around $70 for American apps, and a $100 fee (following the figure from above posts) for applications to Canadian universities. So, really, the situation is the same.

Actually, I don't think Canadian application fees aren't more expensive than American ones, as my application fees to American universities all ranged from $90-105 a piece. I'm Canadian and therefore had to pay the international application fee for American universities, which was often posted as higher than the fee for domestic applicants. For example, UCLA charges Americans $70, whereas I had to pay $90. I'm assuming that most of the posters here are American, and therefore paid around $70 for American apps, and a $100 fee (following the figure from above posts) for applications to Canadian universities. So, really, the situation is the same.

Right, but an American applying to all American schools is paying c. $70 per app, while a Canadian applying to all Canadian schools is paying c. $100 per app. Ergo, the fees are, on average, more expensive in Canada, especially since the Canadian dollar has been around parity with the U.S. dollar all year.