Post-interview

TrashPanda

Hope interviews are going well for everybody! Those who have had interviews-  did you reach out to faculty afterwards to thank them? I had some really good interviews with some of my faculty meetings and would like to thank them/talk more about some of the things that came up, but I'm not sure if this is standard or would be out of place. 

Yeah, I think if you had one or two interviews which were particularly good I don't think it could hurt to reach out and say you enjoyed meeting those professors. It's definitely not required though. Just don't email everybody you spoke to with a generic form letter, it will be very noticeable. 

Currently sending post-interview thank you emails as we speak. Not sure if it's standard, but it's a good gesture and I feel that a nice, sincere email might keep your interview with them fresher in their mind as they're writing their review of you. 

I reached out to my student host, all of my interviewers, and 1 additional faculty member I had prior connections with. One interviewer asked me a specific question about a promoter we used in our viral vector construct that I couldn't remember, so in my thank-you email I mentioned that I had gone back and done some sleuthing at told him a little more about the vector design. In all of them I talked a little bit about how I had had a very nice visit/specific things about the program I liked, and thanked them for their time. Another interviewer took me into his lab during the interview because I was really into a technique they used, so I thanked him for that opportunity and reiterated how it was cool/etc. One I had a really fantastic interview with and then talked to extensively the next day at the poster session, so I sent him a nice email about that as we had a lot of similar research interests. During our conversation he brought up a certain certificate program he thought would be really perfect for my interests, so I looked it up later and thanked him for mentioning it to me because it seemed like a super cool opportunity. 

If you want to send a genuine, personal email (i.e. not the same generic email to everyone) about some things you discussed, I really think it couldn't hurt. I think it's a sincere way to convey your interest in their work/the program. 

Edited by synapticcat

I've finished two rounds of interviews so far and I emailed every person I interviewed with and tried to mention, particularly the ones I was interested in working with, something we discussed or a specific project of their research that I was particularly interested in or thanked them for how much they taught me in our half our meeting. My first interview weekend, I also sent a thank you email to a graduate student that was extremely great to me that weekend because they stood out.

Whoops, already edited my first post and I guess I can't edit it again? Anyways, I'm thinking personal thank-you emails are a good way to go. Got an email back in response thanking me for the nice note and encouraging me to reach out to him with any questions about the program/school/life in the area. 

~Confirmed~ not a bad idea. Also talked to my PI after I sent them and he told me it was a good move. 

3 hours ago, TrashPanda said:

Hope interviews are going well for everybody! Those who have had interviews-  did you reach out to faculty afterwards to thank them? I had some really good interviews with some of my faculty meetings and would like to thank them/talk more about some of the things that came up, but I'm not sure if this is standard or would be out of place. 

Hi there! You should definitely email them a thank you. Keep it short, though. And don't be offended if they don't respond! 

I sent out emails thanking the coordinators for putting the events together, and if there were any stand out faculty I spoke with, I also thanked them.  One faculty had really interesting and engaging research and they were looking for students interested in doing the work I want to do, but the meeting was only 30 minutes and was cut short, so I sent an email follow up with questions and expressed interest in their research.  I only did it with that one faculty.  While the others were also interesting, I don't know what else I would say other than a generic "thank you" and reiteration of interest in their research.  I didn't send a thank you to any faculty post-interview at the school I'm accepted at, so I dunno.

Edited by StemCellFan

I mean, they know you'll be sending the somewhat same thing to your other interviewees, there's only so much you can say. Most of mine were pretty much the same, with an added line of either something we talked about or just something along the lines of their specific research being interesting. I wasn't expecting them to reply since they're so busy, but some of them did so that's nice!

• 1 month later...

Definitely send Thank Yous! Also personalize them, especially if they're someone that you might consider rotating with in the future. Make sure you send them almost as soon as you get back home as most AdComms meet within a week of your interview.

Also, if you had a student leading you around, make sure you contact them, too. They will likely also be giving some notes to the committee. In addition, usually there are one or two students directly serving on the AdComm from my experience. I got to serve for one season and I can say it is definitely worth your while if you're serious about the school.