Geography 2008

rising_star

Hey. I'm a senior at University of Denver in the Geog. Department? Which faculty are you looking to work with? Dr. Taylor? I could give you some suggestions about Professors here if you like.

And I have yet to hear from my 6 schools ( 2 have their deadlines until march) except for that slightly disappointing email from a prof at UNC Chapel-Hill...Nothing official yet

Yes, I'm looking to work with Dr. Taylor. I came out and visited with him and looked around the department last semester. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the department.

Hopefully your responses will start rolling in soon. I think we're all just playing the waiting game right now.

Yes, I'm looking to work with Dr. Taylor. I came out and visited with him and looked around the department last semester. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the department.

Hopefully your responses will start rolling in soon. I think we're all just playing the waiting game right now.

I could tell you a lot about the Geography Department here. The aspect I enjoy most is the intimacy of essentially knowing all your profs, the grad students, undergrads, etc. There isn't a whole lot I can negatively say about the department in general unless you have some specific questions.

Dr. Taylor is a great professor. I took class where we studied and read several books on Political Ecology where, with the exception of the reading and a couple of papers a week, was primarily a discussion based classroom with 5 or 6 undergrad/grads. I hear most of his classes are taught in that fashion.

Best of luck..

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, there are a bunch of new postings on the results page. Someone heard from LSU? Can you please confirm? And how'd you hear so early? Were there two admissions deadlines or something (I remember a Jan 25 deadline...)? Also, any idea where you're going to go and where you'll decline? Those of us still waiting on news are anxious.

• 2 weeks later...

I was officially rejected from UNC-Chapel Hill today via email. It was entirely expect though as a professor had expressed the extreme unlikelihood of my admission about a month or so ago....coommmeeee oonnn UBC!

I have been accepted at both schools I applied to (U of Fl and Ohio State). To those that have been accepted at OSU or similar schools: if the Geography Dept. pays for your visit is that a good sign ? . . . even though I haven't heard about funding yet? Thanks,

Hopingforgoodnewssoon

Hey all,

I emailed UBC in Vancouver to find out the status of my application and was informed that acceptances had gone out and my application is "on hold" until they make their final decisions. Does this mean I'm on a waitlist of some sort?

Washington has terrible funding. It actually stopped me from applying.

My understanding from talking to current grad students is that it has sharply improved in the last 1-2 years; they're trying to strongly downplay their available funding so as to not run into the same situation a couple of years ago. They started accepting fewer students and becoming more transparent with the process. Neither of the other two schools had funding either, so it's pretty much a moot point for me. My fiancee can make more money in Seattle and the people match my interests much more than U of Mich. I think I'm going to gambool and give it a shot.

i chose georgia. my wife getting in to the program she wanted at uga made deciding very very ez. after all the waiting, & after checking my email so many times in the last month or so that i may have developed a lifetime addiction, it's finally over. best of luck to all of you. if there are any other geographers who happen to be heading to georgia, drop me a line.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that you're being purposefully vague regarding your options...but why were you considering leaving in the first place? And do any of the places to which you were accepted feel like they're going to "fix" the issue or provide a better fit? I figure you've already done that. I also figure you've done visits and talked to faculty. I'm not sure that there's much beyond going with your gut, as cliche as it is.

Oh, I have no issues. Just looking to get exposed to more ideas since I didn't do an undergrad degree in geography.

The problem with my gut is that my gut says thinks like "Snow sucks. Move someplace warm" :D