Northeastern Open House

KevinJHa

Hi Kevin. I got the invitation to open house too, but it is on March 10. Do you know if this is important for application? BTW, I applied to the pharmacology program, yet I haven't heard anything from the gradoffice since my application completed.

5 minutes ago, Nan233 said:

Hi Kevin. I got the invitation to open house too, but it is on March 10. Do you know if this is important for application? BTW, I applied to the pharmacology program, yet I haven't heard anything from the gradoffice since my application completed.

Hey sorry Im a little confused -- for the March 10 invitation is it for a sociology program or pharmacology?

I don't think visiting is necessary important for the application, but it gives you an opportunity to make a good impression on the faculty. I was told that there were going to offer 8-12 admits but around 16 people are attending my open house. So im kind of imagining a hunger games type situation haha. 

37 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Hey sorry Im a little confused -- for the March 10 invitation is it for a sociology program or pharmacology?

I don't think visiting is necessary important for the application, but it gives you an opportunity to make a good impression on the faculty. I was told that there were going to offer 8-12 admits but around 16 people are attending my open house. So im kind of imagining a hunger games type situation haha. 

Hi. Sorry, I mean pharmacology, but I did realize that you are applying to sociology program. I am being super panic now..so I am searching for any information about the schools I applied.

15 minutes ago, Nan233 said:

Hi. Sorry, I mean pharmacology, but I did realize that you are applying to sociology program. I am being super panic now..so I am searching for any information about the schools I applied.

Oh I see and I totally understand, well if you got accepted to the open house that's a great sign! I'm sure they'll release decisions about admits shortly after. If you got an email for the open house that generally means you're on the shortlist.

36 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Oh I see and I totally understand, well if you got accepted to the open house that's a great sign! I'm sure they'll release decisions about admits shortly after. If you got an email for the open house that generally means you're on the shortlist.

This makes me feel better! Thank you!

On 2/2/2018 at 8:48 PM, cam_soc said:

Is the open house for the sociology program combined with the interviews?

I'm actually not sure -- they didn't mention interviews at all and framed it as 'giving us a chance to make a better informed decision once admittances are released', but I have a feeling informal interviews will be happening a lot. 

So my sociology application at Northeastern still says "Under committee review," and I haven't received an invitation--I assume that means I'm not on any list then?  I also assume, then, that if they have sent out invites--and I wasn't invited--that they have reviewed my application/materials and have determined that I'm not at the top of their list?  Sad.

13 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

So my sociology application at Northeastern still says "Under committee review," and I haven't received an invitation--I assume that means I'm not on any list then?  I also assume, then, that if they have sent out invites--and I wasn't invited--that they have reviewed my application/materials and have determined that I'm not at the top of their list?  Sad.

Im not sure, you might not be on their short list but also I dont know if theyre doing a waitlist this year. Im heading to the open house now and will post more information once i find out.

4 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

Im not sure, you might not be on their short list but also I dont know if theyre doing a waitlist this year. Im heading to the open house now and will post more information once i find out.

Hope you have an informative time, and make a good impression.  I expected that if you were invited that you just need to set a better impression than a few of the people and they will accept you.  Also, yes, please let us know if you hear anything else about how the acceptance/rejection process is going there--any insider information is valuable!

34 minutes ago, Want_PHD said:

Hope you have an informative time, and make a good impression.  I expected that if you were invited that you just need to set a better impression than a few of the people and they will accept you.  Also, yes, please let us know if you hear anything else about how the acceptance/rejection process is going there--any insider information is valuable!

Thanks so much!! Ill be back :) 

13 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

What ever happened here?  Did the interview go well?  Did they give you any idea how the admissions process is going there?  Is all hope lost for those who didn't get invited?

Hey, so I actually broke down and called the department. They said that no decisions have been made and they aren't meeting as a committee until next week. Decisions should be out by the last week of February at the latest. 

3 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

@Want_PHD @cam_soc hey guys im sorry the open house finished last night and I had to go straight to New York to CUNY's open house -- havent had a chance to post. Once I get home I promise ill provide a detailed post about my experience with NE.

You must be exhausted! Hope you're taking care of yourself and wow-ed those adcomm folks.

2 hours ago, cam_soc said:

Hey, so I actually broke down and called the department. They said that no decisions have been made and they aren't meeting as a committee until next week. Decisions should be out by the last week of February at the latest. 

Thanks for the leg work.  This is good.  Yes I think based on previous years it would seem like towards the end of February is when notifications get sent out.