Hi, all! New member here. 

I'm currently in the first year of an interdisciplinary masters program focused on trauma and genocide. I'm building a list of potential doctoral programs to apply to in English (bachelors is in psychology with a minor + significant work in English). My research interests are trauma and memory studies, critical race theory, and children's literature. More specifically, I'm interested in representations of the violent/traumatic past and cultural memory within children's historical fiction. So far, Sara Schwebel at the University of South Carolina is the researcher I've found that most closely aligns with my research interests on the children's lit side, not sure about the theory side. Along with South Carolina, I'm interested in University of Pittsburgh, University of Florida, Ohio State, University of Southern Mississippi, and University of Connecticut. 

If anyone knows any programs/scholars strong in these areas, I'd be extremely grateful if you'd pass their names along to me! Thanks so much! 

44 minutes ago, eliorandtheunicorn said:

Hi, all! New member here. 

I'm currently in the first year of an interdisciplinary masters program focused on trauma and genocide. I'm building a list of potential doctoral programs to apply to in English (bachelors is in psychology with a minor + significant work in English). My research interests are trauma and memory studies, critical race theory, and children's literature. More specifically, I'm interested in representations of the violent/traumatic past and cultural memory within children's historical fiction. So far, Sara Schwebel at the University of South Carolina is the researcher I've found that most closely aligns with my research interests on the children's lit side, not sure about the theory side. Along with South Carolina, I'm interested in University of Pittsburgh, University of Florida, Ohio State, University of Southern Mississippi, and University of Connecticut. 

If anyone knows any programs/scholars strong in these areas, I'd be extremely grateful if you'd pass their names along to me! Thanks so much! 

First name to pop into my mind is Cathy Caruth at Cornell. You may also want to look into Carnegie Mellon's LCS PhD and the University of Buffalo's English PhD (I have done work in trauma studies and am looking at both Buffalo and CMU) - there are other programs, I'm sure, that are great but I can't think of them off the top of my head. 

I had a peer go to Boston College and she was very interested in children's studies but I don't know too much about their program or what they do theory-wise.

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

Texas A&M has a pretty good reputation for children's lit., from what I understand.  I don't attend but visited the campus 2 years ago after being admitted and there was a fellow visitor who was actually interested in both trauma and children's lit. as well.  There are a couple of people at U of Utah interested in children's lit as well.   

Edited by HumanCylinder

University of Alberta and TAMU are the ones on my radar for children’s lit. Shame Texas State only has the MA, because there are a number of really smart folks who are all about it 

Edited by CulturalCriminal