Reaching Out after Acceptance

Bayesian1701

Question

On Tuesday I received an acceptance letter from one of my programs through their online portal. It was an official acceptance but it didn't mention funding. I haven't heard anything from the department except a request for a new transcript because there was an issue with the file.  My other two acceptances have come with a notice that I had been recommended for admission and that I would receive funding.  Later I got the official formal acceptance in those cases. I am thinking about reaching out to the department and seeing if funding decisions have been made and if I can visit.  The acceptance came three weeks earlier than the first acceptance on results in previous years (which I know has questionable meaning due to nonresponse bias) which seems weird to me.  Should I contact them?  If they aren't going to fund me or pay for a visit than I want to withdraw since they are more of a safety school and I have other funded acceptances with funded visits at two programs I like more (and 6 more responses to go).  I am not ready to rule them out yet if they do fund me and pay for a visit,  but I want to know what is happening.  It is possible that I would attend the program under the right circumstanes, but only if I get a comparable offer and like it after the visit Any thoughts on what I should do? Is it too early to starting asking about funding?

Edited by Bayesian1701
Typos and clarification

1 answer to this question

Honestly I see no harm in reaching out to someone in the department (probably the head of grad admissions for the department I would think). I would just approach it from the stance that you have seen your acceptance through the online portal and say that you are inquiring for more information (about any funding offers and visit weekends like you mention). I really don't think it would be viewed as anything other than interest in knowing more.