UC Davis

Lilith

Who also applied UC Davis? Let's talk about it. It is my last hope......

I called yesterday and the grad coordinator said it will take couples of weeks for them to finalize the decisions.

I just finished up my undergraduate degree there, and also applied to the PhD program in the Evolutionary wing. I know the professor whose lab I applied to quite well, and just found out a couple of days ago that he had given my name to the Graduate Division to accept me (which according to him means I am in, but the Graduate Division has the "official" final word). However, I think he may have told me earlier than other candidates for the department since I still see him on a weekly basis for seminars/reading discussion groups.

My potential adviser and his wife share graduate students, since their work overlaps temporally, if not always geographically. They accepted one other person into their joint lab, although I do not know if that person has been notified as of yet.

What faculty are you hoping to work with?

I just finished up my undergraduate degree there, and also applied to the PhD program in the Evolutionary wing. I know the professor whose lab I applied to quite well, and just found out a couple of days ago that he had given my name to the Graduate Division to accept me (which according to him means I am in, but the Graduate Division has the "official" final word). However, I think he may have told me earlier than other candidates for the department since I still see him on a weekly basis for seminars/reading discussion groups.

My potential adviser and his wife share graduate students, since their work overlaps temporally, if not always geographically. They accepted one other person into their joint lab, although I do not know if that person has been notified as of yet.

What faculty are you hoping to work with?

Thanks a lot for your reply. I applied to cultural wing hoping working with Prof. Li Zhang and some other feminist scholars there. But I don't know if they are on the ad committee though. Do you have any idea that how many people applied and they will accept this year? seems to be a lot from my conversation with the grad coordinator yesterday. Also, how's the department's financial situation ? Thanks.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I applied to cultural wing hoping working with Prof. Li Zhang and some other feminist scholars there. But I don't know if they are on the ad committee though. Do you have any idea that how many people applied and they will accept this year? seems to be a lot from my conversation with the grad coordinator yesterday. Also, how's the department's financial situation ? Thanks.

Honestly, I do not know a single faculty member in the Cultural wing, Dr. Zhang included. My insights into the department will probably be useless to you considering that the Evolutionary and Cultural wings seem to operate pretty much independently of one another.

The financial situation is tricky. California has had an absolutely horrible financial year, and the UC system in particular was hit hard. However, my potential adviser told me that while finding funding isn't easy, things typically work out and students get significant funding through TA positions on campus.

I believe I read in earlier posts by you that you are an international student. I really don't want to discourage you, but I have heard from a couple of different faculty members that international students are much more difficult to fund, mostly because tuition costs are higher for non-California residents, and even higher still for non-American citizens. However, international students certainly are not uncommon in the UC system. At my UC Berkeley (Integrative Biology, not Anthropology) interview last weekend, I think about 5 or 6 candidates out of 25 were international, so don't lose hope.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you so much! I know it is particularly hard for international students this year. I have been in the U.S for three years and the year I got here I, as well as my 11 classmates, received a full scholarship. But last year, our program only accepted 6 people, one funding.

Who also applied UC Davis? Let's talk about it. It is my last hope......

I called yesterday and the grad coordinator said it will take couples of weeks for them to finalize the decisions.

I just got an email from Davis that said they would have notification about my application on the third of March on their website after 8 AM PST.

I just got an email from Davis that said they would have notification about my application on the third of March on their website after 8 AM PST.

Good news, I have not got anything from them. But I emailed POI and she said I did not get in. So that probably means it is an offer!

Wait... confused. Did you mean it was a rejection letter?

Sorry, no, I mean it is an acceptance letter. Davis was my backup. I got accepted. Lol, this is what I get for typing half asleep.

The letter mentions *nothing* about financial aid. I sent an email asking about it and a few other questions.

I can't believe that I've missed this post! I too have applied to the UC Davis (sociocultural). I really would like to know when they'll announce their final decision as I already have an offer and would like to make a decision soon. Does anyone know when we're supposed to hear from them?

I can't believe that I've missed this post! I too have applied to the UC Davis (sociocultural). I really would like to know when they'll announce their final decision as I already have an offer and would like to make a decision soon. Does anyone know when we're supposed to hear from them?

Hi, I contacted my POI and found out I am rejected. And on the website, my status remains un-updated. So I assume, all acceptances are already sent out. and if you have not got one, probably is a rejection.

Congratulations!!! where is your offer from?

Hi, I contacted my POI and found out I am rejected. And on the website, my status remains un-updated. So I assume, all acceptances are already sent out. and if you have not got one, probably is a rejection.

Congratulations!!! where is your offer from?

When I contacted the graduate coordinator on the 25th of Feb she said no final decision yet. EEmpey reported that he/she has received an offer from the department a day after I talked to the graduate coordinator. For this reason I doubt if the department has made their final decision as there is no report on the result page other than EEmpey's report.

Edited by peanuttheanthro

When I contacted the graduate coordinator on the 25th of Feb she said no final decision yet. EEmpey reported that he/she has received an offer from the department a day after I talked to the graduate coordinator. For this reason I doubt if the department has made their final decision as there is no report on the result page other than EEmpey's report.

I contacted the graduate coordinator on the 28th and was told "Please check the Embark application system which will indicate when decisions will be made for review"

However, being as lazy as I am, I didn't post any results to the results database. I just posted on here.

The department is really lackadaisical in responding to emails, which is kinda dismaying. I got a phone call the day after I got accepted from Davis, from a faculty member who told me they can't offer any funding right now, but nominated me for some university wide fellowship.

However, being as lazy as I am, I didn't post any results to the results database. I just posted on here.

The department is really lackadaisical in responding to emails, which is kinda dismaying. I got a phone call the day after I got accepted from Davis, from a faculty member who told me they can't offer any funding right now, but nominated me for some university wide fellowship.

EEmpey, since you're in Davis, would it be possible for you to ask the graduate coordinator (in an informal chat) about the review process (if they're still reviewing)?

EEmpey, since you're in Davis, would it be possible for you to ask the graduate coordinator (in an informal chat) about the review process (if they're still reviewing)?

I'll ask tomorrow hopefully, and I"ll edit this post with information, should I get any.

I'll ask tomorrow hopefully, and I"ll edit this post with information, should I get any.

I decided to reply to my post rather than edit, since I finally remembered to do this, and so people can hopefully see that I updated it.

I asked the head of the Sociocultural Wing about applications: they have already finished their applications, and they finished them way back at the beginning of February. I was supposed to be contacted in the middle of February, but the faculty member contacted me much later, and so everyone in the department thought I was giving them the cold shoulder.

Sorry guys, but if you haven't heard from Davis, you were most likely not accepted.

Why not? :(

Between EEmpey's comment and the lack of other contact thus far, I had a hunch which turned out correct. At least for me, Embark has been updated with Deny Reason 2: No major professor available in proposed specialization in major. Based on experience with an application to another department at Davis, the formal letter will show on Embark on the 23rd.